Portraits of My Family

Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
edited January 16, 2011 in People
We've not had a picture of our complete family for some time. With our oldest headed to Ecuador for two years (see http://digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=171132 for the details), it was time. Just wanted to share so you can get to see us all.

Set-up is on our backyard. I set the camera to shoot every 4 seconds. The kids didn't like staying still so they decided between shots to "repose."

#1 Before the "action" started
921359553_G2Azd-XL.jpg

921359474_adXTp-XL.jpg

921359400_jt2aa-XL.jpg
Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
www.mikejulianaphotography.com
Facebook

Comments

• fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    I'm not one for telling people what they did wrong as I'm learning too, but I'll give it a shot.

Set 1, image two, your daughter is blocking your wife. This would be a great shot if she was moved over camera right just a touch.

Also your poses needs to be a bit tighter. When shooting family portraits, they need to be comfortable in the shot and it needs to look like they have some sort of connection with each other. With gaps inbetween the subjects, it doesn't give that appearance.

Image once is the best pose. Only thing I would have done there is move the son sitting on the bench camera right to the back next to your wife. Then moved your daughter from the ground to the bench where your son was.

Also you are all coordinated with clothing but not footware. if the feet are going to be in the image, make sure they are all matching. two kids barefoot and one with sneakers doesn't really make a nice portrait.

All in all, I'd say your setting was great, but you need to work on your posing (as do I. ) I hope that wasn't too harsh, just trying to help.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer
    http://www.FredJClaus.com
    http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    fredjclaus wrote: »
    I'm not one for telling people what they did wrong as I'm learning too, but I'll give it a shot.

Set 1, image two, your daughter is blocking your wife. This would be a great shot if she was moved over camera right just a touch.

Also your poses needs to be a bit tighter. When shooting family portraits, they need to be comfortable in the shot and it needs to look like they have some sort of connection with each other. With gaps inbetween the subjects, it doesn't give that appearance.

Image once is the best pose. Only thing I would have done there is move the son sitting on the bench camera right to the back next to your wife. Then moved your daughter from the ground to the bench where your son was.

Also you are all coordinated with clothing but not footware. if the feet are going to be in the image, make sure they are all matching. two kids barefoot and one with sneakers doesn't really make a nice portrait.

All in all, I'd say your setting was great, but you need to work on your posing (as do I. ) I hope that wasn't too harsh, just trying to help.
    Hi Fred,
    Not too harsh at all. #1 is the only one that was really attempted to be posed. I agree we probably should have been closer to together. I didn't even think about what was/not on our feet.
    As I said, all of the other shots were random poses created but playing a sort of chinese fire drill between the shots (every 4 seconds). Everyone was changing places while counting to 4. When we got to 4, everyone froze where they were. You should have some some of the other ones...most were a lot worse.
    Mike J

Facebook
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    It's always great to do these kinds of things....fun shots!
    My your son have a safe and prosperous journey...
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    For a set of photographs to remember your family and their unique individuality your done a wonderful job. I can imagine several composits as you've done here on your wall and being thrilled with them. The one big nit would be the clothing is out of sync with the background. The white is to competiting with the viewers eye. Remember bright colors are viewed first and come forward from the photo. You want the face to be the first noticed.
    May your son have a great experience and safe travels.
    edited January 15, 2011
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    It's always great to do these kinds of things....fun shots!
    My your son have a safe and prosperous journey...
    Thanks Rey.
    Hackbone wrote: »
    For a set of photographs to remember your family and their unique individuality your done a wonderful job. I can imagine several composits as you've done here on your wall and being thrilled with them. The one big nit would be the clothing is out of sync with the background. The white is to competiting with the viewers eye. Remember bright colors are viewed first and come forward from the photo. You want the face to be the first noticed.
    May your son have a great experience and safe travels.
    I appreciate your sage advice about the white...looking at them I could not agree with you more. I'll get another chance in another 18 months to have another go at it.
    Mike J

Facebook
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    What's with this Rocky guy infiltrating advertisements into his posts???
    edited January 15, 2011
    I noticed that too. I chose to ignore and hopefully the moderators will act on it.
    Mike J

Facebook
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    I ignored it too as what's important are these portraits and the reason for shooting them :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    I like the portraits - I get soooo sick of those staring at the camera shots. I love the Chinese Fire Drill shots - they show life and spontaneity. When I shoot families I always get the obligatory posed shots, then I tell the group to look at each other, to interact and tell each other jokes and be silly. Those are the best.

I mentioned the other issue so the mods would deal with it - it's just wrong and annoying.
    edited January 16, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »
    I like the portraits - I get soooo sick of those staring at the camera shots. I love the Chinese Fire Drill shots - they show life and spontaneity. When I shoot families I always get the obligatory posed shots, then I tell the group to look at each other, to interact and tell each other jokes and be silly. Those are the best.

I mentioned the other issue so the mods would deal with it - it's just wrong and annoying.
    Thanks Sara. The "unposed" shots are the ones the kids want showing...
    The mods did take care of the issue. :D
    Mike J

Facebook