Canon Life-cycle or 7D now or wait?

fullofpaintfullofpaint Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
edited July 6, 2010 in Cameras
So I've been saving up enough for a 7D to supplant my 40D as my main body. Biggest reason for me is to shoot video with it as well since that's what I really do, photography is more just a fun side project, and yes before you mentio it I know all the limitations of it. But I'm wondering how often Canon refreshes it's lineup, i.e., if I get a 7d in the next month or so, am I likely to see an 8d or whatever out later this year with improved video abilities? Not sure if my question is entirely clear there...but oh well.
Canon 5DMk2, Canon 40D
16-35 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 24-105 4.0L
www.timkerigan.com

Comments

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    There are people on the Web who have charted the release schedule of Canon bodies so far. Here is one, you can look for more and then draw your own conclusions about the pace.
    http://blog.duncandavidson.com/2009/01/canon-dslr-timeline-speculatio.html
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 3, 2010
    If you are really interested in a video dSLR, you might save up a bit more to purchase a Canon 5D MKII. The opportunity to fit the 5D MKII with truly spectacular large aperture primes from Canon, Nikon and Pentax (the last 2 via suitable adapter) is a major impetus for the more serious "indie" filmmaker. The FF imager works that much better than a crop imager for controlling DOF and for low-light videography. The number of video accessories is also a little broader for the 5D MKII than for the 7D, just because the 5D MKII has been on the market longer.

A major reason to use a 5D MKII is to record stereo sound directly into the camera. With the latest 5D MKII firmware that's a reality.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    If you are really interested in a video dSLR, you might save up a bit more to purchase a Canon 5D MKII. The opportunity to fit the 5D MKII with truly spectacular large aperture primes from Canon, Nikon and Pentax (the last 2 via suitable adapter) is a major impetus for the more serious "indie" filmmaker. The FF imager works that much better than a crop imager for controlling DOF and for low-light videography. The number of video accessories is also a little broader for the 5D MKII than for the 7D, just because the 5D MKII has been on the market longer.

A major reason to use a 5D MKII is to record stereo sound directly into the camera. With the latest 5D MKII firmware that's a reality.

+1

What makes DSLR's so great for video use is that super thin DOF they allow for, and if you are getting it for that purpose you might as well go all out with the 5D mkII and maximize the effect.
  • fullofpaintfullofpaint Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    @ziggy I thought about it, but after using both I've decided for me right now, it's not worth the extra cost, mainly because I plan on shooting dual sound regardless and for the moment at least, I'll mainly be shooting with L series zooms (70-200, 16-35, 24-70 all 2.8's) as I don't own or plan to purchase any primes anytime soon.

Also as far as the photography side, I prefer the crop sensor because most of my shoots are sports, or other event's where it's nice to have that extra reach.

and Dan actually posted the event that got me wondering about the whole question haha
    Canon 5DMk2, Canon 40D
    16-35 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 24-105 4.0L
    www.timkerigan.com
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    I'm starting to use some 7D video clips in the video courses I produce with Camtasia. I've found that the simple noise filter in Camtasia does a really good job of cleaning up the noise the auto leveling preamp in the camera introduces. So I'm pretty sure that any audio processing software should be able to clean it up.
    richy wrote: »
    The sound can be addressed at a later stage but theres no getting round the dof.