Options

Photos as a guest questions...???

TBRTBR Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited July 5, 2010 in Weddings
I would like to start by saying thank you to all on here. I have learned so very much from reading on this wonderful forum.

Now to my question... I am pretty new to the world of photography and will be going to my cousin's wedding. While I am not the photographer I thought this would be a great time to learn some of the basics of wedding photography. I don't want to step on the feet of the actual professional so I will be limited on the shots that I can take. I will also make sure not hinder any possible sales of the photographer by offering my photos to the couple with out the photographers permission. Are there any other courtesies I should show?

I would also like to ask what are the shots I should focus on?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated...!!!

Thanks in advance...!!!

Comments

• Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    Soooooo. You are planning to follow the photographer the entire day and shoot behind his / her shoulder? I'd say that's inappropriate. headscratch.gif

I understand you want to get your feet wet, but it's really annoying for a photographer if you constantly have a person follow you (unless it's your assistant / second shooter). The couple has already enough going on that day, and an additional distraction will just screw up the photos that the photographer is trying to get.

Sorry ... just my honest opinion. Take as many photos as you want at the wedding, take some nice detail shots at the reception, take some photos of the guests, or some candids, take some during the ceremony (just don't be in anybody's way), do whatever you want, but following the photographer around while the bride is getting ready, or while the photographer is taking the posed photos of the couple is a no-go in my eyes.

Why don't you just ask a photographer if it would be ok to join him / her at a wedding? I'm sure you'd find somebody that is willing to have you along, and explain some things to you. I have people like this come along every once in a while ... just because they want to see if wedding photography is anything for them, and they want to get their feet wet, without having any of the pressure to be the main or even second shooter.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010
    Thank you for your response... I would have to agree that it would be annoying to have someone over your shoulder through out the entire wedding... I will be just there as a guest that can hopefully get some good photos along the way... I will be staying out of the photographers way...

I think I'm going to focus on the details of the reception. The ceremony will be in a catholic church I'm going to go ahead and sit in the very back and hope to get a few shots of the ceremony it self. At the reception I think I want to focus on the details of the wedding; cake, tables, decorations, and the like. Candids are where I'm going to go ahead and have my fun. It's the part of photography that I enjoy the most and I'm pretty good at blending in the back ground even with my camera.

What would you suggest are the "Money" shots of the details? What do you find most clients are looking for with these photos?

I will be asking a couple photographers if I can be a tag along in the near future... Just wanted a couple examples that I could show them and thought this would be a good way to get them...
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010
    That sounds about right ++ I'm sure if you get some awesome candids (of the couple or other guests), shots from the ceremony (stand in the center of the isle for a couple shots + try to get some from the sides too) & detail shots from the reception you'll get some photographers that would let you join them at a wedding ... thumb.gif Just keep an eye on the photographer (especially in the church), so you're in nobody's shots thumb.gif
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    One thing you need to be aware of is that there might be a clause in the photographer's contract that prevents you from doing this.

It is pretty standard to have the couple agree that there is only one professional photographer, but I know some people have wording that prevents guests from being able to use "professional" equipment. You might want to check in with your cousin to make sure that your taking pictures with "professional" equipment isn't going to cause a problem - if OK, then follow Angie's advise.

I have rather mixed feelings on this kind of thing. I have no problems with people doing a bit of photography at my weddings (heck some turn up with more gear than us - I once had a bridesmaid with a D3x), but I'd get annoyed if I saw shots from one of our weddings showing up in some new guys on-line portfolio.
  • Options
    edited July 3, 2010
    Yeah, I don't mind if people shoot behind me while I shoot a wedding, it's just that if you're trying to build a portfolio and you're behind the photographer ALL the time, the chances are high that he/she will get annoyed at some point because you're in his/her way. Anyway ... I hope it didn't come over rude .... I just had some cases where I felt like I took the photo and then I had to wait until everybody else took their photos until I could move on to the next photo, and that's just too annoying as you get *only that much* photo time before the couple gets annoyed, which is totally understandable. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't mind if people shoot behind me while I shoot a wedding, it's just that if you're trying to build a portfolio and you're behind the photographer ALL the time, the chances are high that he/she will get annoyed at some point because you're in his/her way. Anyway ... I hope it didn't come over rude .... I just had some cases where I felt like I took the photo and then I had to wait until everybody else took their photos until I could move on to the next photo, and that's just too annoying as you get *only that much* photo time before the couple gets annoyed, which is totally understandable. headscratch.gif

Hey that happened to me today! Or yesterday. I just got back and it was a Saturday wedding and ... I have no idea what day today is... headscratch.gif

It was definitely annoying. Even after asking politely to stop, he wouldn't, the couple had to get on the dude's case. I don't mind other people taking pictures, even if they bring in a dslr, but once they tag around me or overstep their bounds... Luckily the couple was gracious enough to tell him to pack his camera so I could keep shooting.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2010
    OK so I learned a lot last night...!!! Number one know where you are going... I didn't really get any good shots at the ceremony but was not really trying to. The shots of the cakes and centerpieces turned out pretty good I think.

There was one little hick up when the bridal party got to the reception though.

Turns out the pro didn't know where it was and got quite lost on the way up there. It was only 4 minutes from the ceremony... The party waited outside for a little bit but had to get the party going. When the bride and groom started their first dance a person that worked at the country club asked me if I could get the shots for them. I did what I could and am OK with the way they turned out. Most where underexposed and a bit noisy... I thought the 7d combined with 24-70 2.8 would not of had as much of a problem at iso 1600... Learned my lesson there. I didn't feel comfortable shooting any slower of a shutter speed which is why I bumped up the iso that much. My technique is not the best for this yet. I left my flash in the car cause I was not planning on taking these shots.

My cousin was happy with the photos over all. I did have to make quite a few into b&w. I downloaded Lightroom 3 and am working with it right now the noise reduction does quite well...

Thank you all for your insight...
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    Would love to see some of them if possible :)
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2010
    Some of the Pictures
    Here are a few of them... Of course let me know what y'all think... I can handle it... I think headscratch.gif... lol :D

4765853433_3d220bb439.jpg

4765851695_c7e25dc9c5.jpg

3. I wish I would of got it at more an angle...
    4765850665_0c4be349a3.jpg

4766484528_d1df78d9b3.jpg

4765844115_635e1c9c12.jpg

4766479418_fc8e02f7f6.jpg

4766485934_c0e0625cdf.jpg