Baby ladybirds are UGLY!!!

ecowarriorecowarrior Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited July 4, 2010 in Holy Macro
Found this "Harmonia Axyridis" on one of the plants in my wife's vegetable patch. Apparently this is the larvae stage of a ladybird! Beauty and the Beast I think....

4755630763_4376384094_b.jpg
---
Nikon D200, SB-600, 105mm Micro VR, 50mm 1.8, 18-70mm

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    yup good stage 2 pupal ....wiki shot here

My curiosity is about the name.....here i have always heard them referred to as
    Ladybugs.....why does your culture refer to them as ladybirds......sense they are not
    birds but insects??
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Ladybugs.....why does your culture refer to them as ladybirds......sense they are not
    birds but insects??

thats a good one
    in my culture it's an "our dear lords animal"
    that sounds better ???????????????
  • ecowarriorecowarrior Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2010

birds but insects??

I could probably look up the technical reason but in all honesty I think it's cos us Brits are a bit weird :)
    ---
    Nikon D200, SB-600, 105mm Micro VR, 50mm 1.8, 18-70mm
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    Good capture ! - agree they are ugly.
    Brian V.
  • PunkybethPunkybeth Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    Hey Art...I was curious too, so I Wikipedia'd it. Here's what they say...

The name "ladybird" originated in the Middle Ages when the insects were known as the "beetle of Our Lady" . They were named after The Virgin Mary, who in early religious paintings was often shown wearing a red cloak. The spots of the seven spot ladybird were said to symbolise seven joys and seven sorrows.<sup id="cite_ref-BBC_6-0" class="reference">[7]</sup> Common names in other European languages have the same association (the German name Marienkäfer translates to "Marybeetle" or ladybeetle).<sup id="cite_ref-Florida_7-0" class="reference">[8]</sup> In the USA the name was Americanized to "ladybug".<sup id="cite_ref-Florida_7-1" class="reference">[8]</sup>

birds but insects??
    Robyn T. Lisone
    MUTTography - Modern and Fun Lifestyle Pet Photography
    MUTTography | My SmugMug | Facebook | Google+