Homeless Veterans

jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
edited July 3, 2010 in People
I've got an assignment to photograph homeless veterans for an August issue of the local weekly. Problem? I can get shots that "say" homeless...I can get shots that "say" veterans. I'm finding it challenging to get shots that "say" homeless veterans.

Your thoughts please?

Jerry Nelson
www.meesoon.smugmug.com

Comments

• SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    I've got an assignment to photograph homeless veterans for an August issue of the local weekly. Problem? I can get shots that "say" homeless...I can get shots that "say" veterans. I'm finding it challenging to get shots that "say" homeless veterans.

Your thoughts please?

Jerry Nelson
    www.meesoon.smugmug.com

I am presuming that there will be text (story, captions and headlines) which will let the readers know that the story is about Homeless vets.

Your charge is to factually and accurately find and record individuals who are both a vet and homeless. Once you start finding them, talking with them and shooting them the story will just unfold in front of your lens. This is not a single quick shot type of thing. You will need to act like a reporter finding and interviewing individuals and using them to introduce you to other homeless vets.

This is a pretty good assignment because it can take you to many places both physically and mentally ... and you need to capture those places.

Look for details, a tatoo of a unit's name or slogan ... empty booze containers, used needles, worn out shoes and clothing, scares of an old wound, et cetera.

The thing aout most military units is comradeship ... working as a team. See if homeless Vets take care of other homeless Vets.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    perhaps a trip to a local VFW, American Legion ( I think that is the name) or such a club could get you some pointers on where to look. Also motor cyle clubs may have some idea where to find them or maybe even some personal introductions.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700