Software for changing colorprofile and resizing

18pcs18pcs Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited July 15, 2010 in Finishing School
I use Nikon Capture 2 for most of my processing and save files as JPG/TIFF. Now with having to upload to SM I have to change the color profile to sRGB, delete Captions (some of my old Nikon D200 files have a lot of info written in the captions field) sometimes convert from TIFF to Jpeg. I was usually working with ACDSEE Pro version 3 for this but have recently noticed that all my files whilst changing the ICC profile using batch were being converted to 1ppi resolution by ACDSEE pro. Tried using LR-3 but find its really too complicated for me. Can someone suggest any other program which can do these tasks smoothly . Thanks and all advice highly appreciated.

Comments

• Thunder RabbitThunder Rabbit Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    Howdy.

Look at LR again. The export function will do everything you need to do from one dialog box. I can't really imagine how it could be any simpler. Especially if you download Jeffrey Friedl's Smug Mug plug in.
    Peace,
    Lee

Thunder Rabbit GRFX
    www.thunderrabbitgrfx.com
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    Agreed. Blowing away captions on 100 images should be a 10 second operation in Lightroom, and the Export dialog will convert the exported images to sRGB on the way out if you set it up that way.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    I think you are making LR a little harder than needed. So allow me to start at the beginning of what I do in LightRoom2. I hope that it is similiar to LR3 if not, my apologize.
    1. Under the File Menu in LR2 select new catalog if one is not already open
    2. Once there is a catalog open select Import Photos from Disk...
    3. Browse to the images you are looking to work with
    4. Select that location and on the screen I would suggest setting the options to Copy to a New Location - basically so you will still have the originals
    5. if you are not already in the Library Module go to the Windows menu and select Modules>Library
    6. Select all the images, I would use command/control A or select it under the Edit menu
    7. Expand the Metadata area if it isn't already
    8. To the left of the word Metadata there is a drop down menu box select "Large Caption"
    9. Clear the data out of the caption field.
    10. Click the Sync Metadata button at the bottom. In the resuluting dialog window I would use the Check None first to clear everything
    11. I would then check the selection box for Caption (to the right of the caption box)
    12. Once that is done I would then select Export from the file menu
    13. In the export dialog box, I believe this one has changed quite a bit, you want to scroll through the options and select what you want. Including resolution and color space
    Hope that helps. Really LR is most likely the best tool for the application you are looking for.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • tinsniptinsnip Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 12, 2010
    My first post here on the forum! Don't ask me why I chose this one, except perhaps to add one more option for output to online-usage images, this time from Photoshop.

Even when I used LR (granted, it was back around version 2), I almost always exported a tif to PS and put on a few finishing touches. So exporting an sRGB JPEG from PS was my preferred method. After doing each of the required steps about a thousand times, I put together an Action in PS that incorporated all of the required steps including duplicating and flattening the file, color space, naming, setting quality level, image dimensions, save-to location, etc. I made several Actions that were essentially the same but provided for slightly different sized final JPEGs. Now it is extremely fast and easy.

However, if I were using LR exclusively as many seem to do, I would agree that its output options are pretty great.

Best,
    Tim
  • 18pcs18pcs Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 15, 2010
    I have since the last few days trying to grasp LR 3 and am now really glad that I did. It is a wonderful software and so is the JF plugin. Thanks to all for suggesting me to persevere with this product.