Two Scoops

OzzwaldOzzwald Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
edited July 7, 2010 in People
Two of my little cousins chowing on some ice cream.

4757863719_d04042a9e0_b.jpg

4758503634_3f6fdb1c54_b.jpg

Comments

• Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    Cute stuff. That second one is "deer in the headlights" if I've ever seen it! :Drolleyes1.gif Shame it's on the soft side. Had you nailed the focus and light on this one, it would have really shined!
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    Focus! Focus! Focus!

Arrrggghhh!

- Wil

Cute kids though! thumb.gif
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • OzzwaldOzzwald Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    :cry ya i know, they seemed a little soft, but i thought they were decent enough to post. My pictures always seem to be soft...this was shot with a 35mm F/1.8 @ F/2.8 1/60 sec.

Any tips for making sure my shots are sharp?
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    Ozzwald wrote: »
    :cry ya i know, they seemed a little soft, but i thought they were decent enough to post. My pictures always seem to be soft...this was shot with a 35mm F/1.8 @ F/2.8 1/60 sec.

Looking at #2, the little girl's eyes are sharp and everything else is not - when you shoot at f/2.8 you don't have much DOF to work with. A slightly less shallow depth of field (even up to 5.6) and a faster shutter speed would make a difference.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Looking at #2, the little girl's eyes are sharp and everything else is not - when you shoot at f/2.8 you don't have much DOF to work with. A slightly less shallow depth of field (even up to 5.6) and a faster shutter speed would make a difference.

I beg to differ; take a look at her hair…

…bits of her hair are in focus (check the hair which has ice-cream on it, camera right), but her eyes are just in front, and as you correctly point out, due to the aperture the eyes are in front of the plane of (acceptable) focus.

…I'm also confused about your comment re. shutter speed - surely if you stop down, then you need to slow down the shutter speed to allow more light into the camera?

…back to the picture: I think her expression is priceless!

…and I think if she'd been in focus in #1, and her brother out-of-focus, you'd have a masterpiece on your hands!

Nice job! (…apart from the focus!)

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • pickerbwpickerbw Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    15524779-Ti.gif What he said. Still, two very cute pictures.

BTW, I also have the 35mm 1.8 and it hasn't left my camera since I got it a month ago. A bit slow to focus, but a great focal length on the crop sensor for up close and personal pictures like the ones above.
  • OzzwaldOzzwald Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    Alright, thanks for the input.

guess i gotta practice getting the right things in focus. the picture was kind of on the spot, what precious kid moments arent.

thanks again and ill work on it and hopefully back with more.
  • PaintguyPaintguy Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    More ice cream in the name of photography! I agree that 2nd one is a winner, just wish the focal sweet spot was about an inch closer.
  • tropicotropico Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Adorable! I love them! :D
    http://www.monicagarrett.com

Canon 5D MARK II, Canon EOS 450D
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 18-55mm
    Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 75-300mm, Tokina 10-24mm, Sigma 18-200mm
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Ozzwald wrote: »

The shutter and aperture are fine. what you need to do is select a single focus point and put it over one of her eyes. In these kinds of pictures..the eye is everything. Everything else can be out of focus but if you get the eye then almost nothing else matters.

Shooting single focus point is a big change in shooting style though and it requires some practice. For one thing you need to frame the shot you want in your head to select the proper focus point. For example..you see your cousin with the ice cream..you imagine the shot you want..you change over to single point, you select a point where you want the eye to be in the frame, set your app and shutter, you meter, and adjust, then fire away.

This kind of shooting will yield you amazing results and will turn you into a better photgrapher because now you are planning and executing shots rather then taking snaps and letting your camera decide what to focus on. It's a quantum leap.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • JustPeachy2JustPeachy2 Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    !
    Qarik wrote: »
    The shutter and aperture are fine. what you need to do is select a single focus point and put it over one of her eyes. In these kinds of pictures..the eye is everything. Everything else can be out of focus but if you get the eye then almost nothing else matters.

Shooting single focus point is a big change in shooting style though and it requires some practice. For one thing you need to frame the shot you want in your head to select the proper focus point. For example..you see your cousin with the ice cream..you imagine the shot you want..you change over to single point, you select a point where you want the eye to be in the frame, set your app and shutter, you meter, and adjust, then fire away.

This kind of shooting will yield you amazing results and will turn you into a better photgrapher because now you are planning and executing shots rather then taking snaps and letting your camera decide what to focus on. It's a quantum leap.

Sometimes I think life/and or photo gets nitpicked to DEATH! The second photo is priceless!clap.gif I agree some planning in advance once you know what will make it better makes all the difference. However, there are times when there is only a moment and you can't make a sudden adjustment for a Nobel photo. The moment captured in her look will be there forever. I JUST LOVE IT; the overall emotion say it all! bowdown.gif JustPeachy2