Options

Sales - Not paid?

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited August 23, 2005 in SmugMug Support
All my sales say "Not paid". Some of the sales are months old. What exactly does this mean?
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    All my sales say "Not paid". Some of the sales are months old. What exactly does this mean?

it means you have $$ coming from smugmug. how to get it, is explained right here in the smugmug help section for pro accounts.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    andy wrote:
    it means you have $$ coming from smugmug. how to get it, is explained right here in the smugmug help section for pro accounts.

Thanks, Andy. I guess I've given away the small scale of my dgrin business. Might be time to try to do something about my site. Or the actual pictures? Or marketing?

In any case, I do have a proposal. Why not credit sales against membership fees if the sales are too small to cut a check? That seems fairly effecient to me.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Thanks, Andy. I guess I've given away the small scale of my dgrin business. Might be time to try to do something about my site. Or the actual pictures? Or marketing?

In any case, I do have a proposal. Why not credit sales against membership fees if the sales are too small to cut a check? That seems fairly effecient to me.

i'm sure you mean "smugmug" business, but why would you think it's given away? you can request a check any time, you simply have to fill out a tax withholding form...

the reason sales cannot be credited for membership, is due to taxing authority reasons.
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i'm sure you mean "smugmug" business, but why would you think it's given away? you can request a check any time, you simply have to fill out a tax withholding form...

the reason sales cannot be credited for membership, is due to taxing authority reasons.
    I think what he meant was that he just "gave away" how low his sales volume on SM is.

James.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    I think what he meant was that he just "gave away" how low his sales volume on SM is.

James.

ahhhh i get it
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    rutt wrote:

I wonder if that would cause a tax nightmare actually.

And yes, Marketing. I've found that is my biggest problem myself. Not the quality of images, but the marketing of them.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    I wonder if that would cause a tax nightmare actually.

nod.gifnod.gif
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    andy wrote:
    mercphoto wrote:
    I wonder if that would cause a tax nightmare actually
    nod.gifnod.gif

One solution to the problem:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060875410/qid=1124826009/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-3040463-8923308?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    andy wrote:
    lol3.gif i'm just the humble dgrin shadkhonim, i'm not a tax expert lol3.gif
    Had to look that one up.

shadchanim (matchmakers)
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    Yeah, I too wish I knew how to go about marketing images that somebody doesn't have an express reason to buy (i.e. how do you market images you weren't A)asked to take or B)are of sports so it's very obvious that the athletes are the market there).
    Richard
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:

James.

Exactly. It's pretty darn embarrassing. I won't say more. Have to do something about marketing.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    Yeah, I too wish I knew how to go about marketing images that somebody doesn't have an express reason to buy (i.e. how do you market images you weren't A)asked to take or B)are of sports so it's very obvious that the athletes are the market there).
    Richard
    About the only thing I've learned as per sports (see my kart and motocross photos) is that you need to get to know the participants. Don't just show up, shoot, then leave and post, hoping for visitors and sales. Walk around before hand, handing out business cards. Shoot half the race, schmooze the second half. Bring sample prints. If you can, bring a notebook computer. And if at all possible, take a few orders on-site. Bring some cash and change. Take checks. Print and mail later.

The more people get to know me, the more orders I get. They get comfortable spending money with you.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Exactly. It's pretty darn embarrassing. I won't say more. Have to do something about marketing.

I would think the most basic thing is that your website needs to be up and running. I went to take a look, and the server's not responding...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I would think the most basic thing is that your website needs to be up and running. I went to take a look, and the server's not responding...

i just tried www.chezrutt.com/rutt and got the big gooseegg...

but - http://rutt.smugmug.com works fine, chezrutt is hosted not at smugmug...
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

Yes, I had an IT infrastructure meltdown a little while ago and still have not recovered. But it doesn't matter. I wasn't exactly doing a land office business when it was working either.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Yes, I had an IT infrastructure meltdown a little while ago and still have not recovered. But it doesn't matter. I wasn't exactly doing a land office business when it was working either.

i think david's trying to hold back saying something about apple here lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    andy wrote:

Apple, pc, linux had nothing to do with it. I was trying to host my site out of a home computer with a cable modem while I was 4 hours away. It wasn't exactly a professional grade solution to the problem, but it had been working for a long time, so I didn't want to mess with it. The brand new professional grade cisco/linksys router had some kind of problem and became unreliable. I just bailed on the whole tihing until the end of the summer. Then I'm planning to find a reliable hosting service for chezrutt.com/ruttenberg.org. I know this is pretty far off the original topic, but I'd welcome suggestions, especially unix/apache oriented ones.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    andy wrote:

You know, it crossed my mind, but there are certain people you don't argue about this kinda stuff with. Rutt being one. Mercphoto being another. And they both use Macs! Go figure. Andy, you know me well...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Apple, pc, linux had nothing to do with it. I was trying to host my site out of a home computer with a cable modem while I was 4 hours away. It wasn't exactly a professional grade solution to the problem, but it had been working for a long time, so I didn't want to mess with it. The brand new professional grade cisco/linksys router had some kind of problem and became unreliable. I just bailed on the whole tihing until the end of the summer. Then I'm planning to find a reliable hosting service for chezrutt.com/ruttenberg.org. I know this is pretty far off the original topic, but I'd welcome suggestions, especially unix/apache oriented ones.

I would feel sorry for you, Rutt, but I seriously envy your summers and your problems. Been really enjoying your shots of late from Nantucket. Yes, jealous, I am.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    rutt wrote:

a linux geek friend of mine uses jaguarpc hosting
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    I would feel sorry for you, Rutt, but I seriously envy your summers and your problems. Been really enjoying your shots of late from Nantucket. Yes, jealous, I am.

Thanks very much. I've been having a lot of fun with photography this August.
    Want to buy some prints?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    You know, it crossed my mind, but there are certain people you don't argue about this kinda stuff with. Rutt being one. Mercphoto being another. And they both use Macs! Go figure. Andy, you know me well...

And, honestly, I also know that Rutt's knowledge runs rings around mine...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2005
    andy wrote:
    a linux geek friend of mine uses jaguarpc hosting

Thanks, Andy, that looks very nice and very reasonably priced for what you get. When I get around to fixing my hosting problems, I'll give it a closer look.
    If not now, when?