Rift and Rock - Bowling Ball Beach

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited July 5, 2010 in Landscapes
Driving up the coast on a summer holiday weekend is probably not in your best interests if you dislike crowds and campers. Sometimes a day trip will do the trick -- especially if you start at 5 AM.

Point Arena is about 4 hours from where we live, and you have to catch this relatively tiny area on a huge beach at the right tide. We almost gave up, surveying the land from the top of the cliff, not seeing anything, and thinking maybe we should just go get lunch.

922831946_z9abD-XL.jpg

Normally these round rocks are underwater, but when the water is out (preferably at a negative tide), you can see them sitting like bowling balls on an oddly flat shelf of bedrock. The play of the waves between the rocks is mesmerizing (until you realize you've been waiting too long for the "right shot" and notice your path back to dry land is gone.)

Been languishing a little in the photography department, but this trip was worth the wait. Have a great weekend, everyone, and safe travels/explosions if you're in the States. :D

Comments

• Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    Nice capture Schmoo !!!!!

Did you use fill flash to light up those rocks or is that all natural light? :D
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    Thanks Fred! Unfortunately it was all natural light, as low tide was around 10 AM. The harsh light was really something. (Hence the b/w conversion lol3.gif)

I'm keeping an eye on the tide schedules to get this coincided with a sunset. Landscaping requires patience, or at least enough trips so you can rotate locations while you wait for opportunity to open up.

I hear you're going to be going to Africa next year. I'm already looking forward to seeing pics from that. :D
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 4, 2010
    There's a hostel at the PA Lighthouse. The town itself is pretty interesting. It's history is logging related (as are many of the small towns along the coast).
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    Thanks Fred! Unfortunately it was all natural light, as low tide was around 10 AM. The harsh light was really something. (Hence the b/w conversion lol3.gif)

I hear you're going to be going to Africa next year. I'm already looking forward to seeing pics from that. :D
    Yes, that's true. mwink.gif I'm already planning on what gear to take with me.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    There's a hostel at the PA Lighthouse. The town itself is pretty interesting. It's history is logging related (as are many of the small towns along the coast).

The town was pretty cool but I didn't know they were loggers. They were gearing up for some major celebration so we couldn't have lunch at the restaurant by the harbor, but we had good grub at the cafe on Main Street.

(And I made out like a bandit at the bakery/gift shop across the street!)
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 4, 2010
    4th of July parade is what they're up to. Yah. Loggers and today, fisherman. The big ticket now is abalone (sport fisherman) and urchins.

Fort Brag was also a lumber town. I'd guess it was maybe 8-10 years ago the industry collapsed and just recently, the mill closed and has been a kind of derelict building.
    Heading east on the main road through town will take you into the logging area.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
  • dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    Wow Steph, that is a long drive. At least you got a great shot out of it :D
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/