New Print Website

NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
edited July 6, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I just got smugmug pro and after some wrestling with the code and going back to techniques I haven't used in years :lol3 my site is close to how I want it (I am going to work on some things to speed it up in the coming week).

The hope is to launch it for real in a week after I get my test prints and decide on the lab/paper but right now my concern is if the look meshes with my main portfolio site.

Here is the new smugmug one:
http://www.jonathanbeckley.com/

And the portfolio site:
http://jbeckphotography.com/

Comments

• BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    I did a quick look. It does mesh pretty well with your main site. The biggest thing that jumped out at me was the different domains. Since you say you have a pro account you might want to consider setting up your smugmug site to be photos.jbeckpotography.com. This way you have one URL for your customers and people to see. There is more info here at http://www.smugmug.com/help/power-custom-domain. I just made the change on my domain and people who I thought wouldn't notice have said things to me about it.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    I did a quick look. It does mesh pretty well with your main site. The biggest thing that jumped out at me was the different domains. Since you say you have a pro account you might want to consider setting up your smugmug site to be photos.jbeckpotography.com. This way you have one URL for your customers and people to see. There is more info here at http://www.smugmug.com/help/power-custom-domain. I just made the change on my domain and people who I thought wouldn't notice have said things to me about it.

I've been debating that, right now everyone knows the jbeckphotography site but I wanted to have my name covered and possibly move everything over there in the future.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited July 4, 2010
    I think the two sites work together, and I agree with Brad on sharing a URL between them.

You don't currently have anything enabled for sale, but it sounds like you may be heading in that direction. It appears that you have uploaded small images. This means that if you want to sell photos you will need to re-upload them. I suspect that the images I see in your one gallery are too small to be printed (based on the size images I see when I click Original). More info on printing from smug at http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality.

The other thing that jumped out at me is that you have originals enabled. This means that copies of your original images can easily be grabbed. See ORIGINALS = a gateway to free photos, & right click protection is NOT PROTECTION.

--- Denise
    edited July 4, 2010
    I think the two sites work together, and I agree with Brad on sharing a URL between them.

You don't currently have anything enabled for sale, but it sounds like you may be heading in that direction. It appears that you have uploaded small images. This means that if you want to sell photos you will need to re-upload them. I suspect that the images I see in your one gallery are too small to be printed (based on the size images I see when I click Original). More info on printing from smug at http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality.

The other thing that jumped out at me is that you have originals enabled. This means that copies of your original images can easily be grabbed. See ORIGINALS = a gateway to free photos, & right click protection is NOT PROTECTION.

--- Denise

That is a lot more work waiting to happen, I am going to be formatting my images for 16x20 with a border probably between 1/2-3/4 of an inch on the thin side so it doesn't get too think for the 8x10. Once I get the test back I'll be creating those galleries and posting the images up for sale.

That gallery up there now is just an old one and smugmug was just for sharing photos before I got the pro service so everything on there is less than 800 pixels, saved for web and with watermarks. I don't know if the glitch is still on the site but awhile back for some reason it wasn't formatting XL images right which is why I switched on originals.

Getting the site set up, updating my other site for links to go to it, the content, is taking a good 3 days of work, but the payoff of simple uploads and sales is worth it clap.gif
    edited July 4, 2010
    I've been debating that, right now everyone knows the jbeckphotography site but I wanted to have my name covered and possibly move everything over there in the future.

I have multiple domains point to one website, SmugMug has some limitations but depending on your host you should be able to have multiple names all point to the same website.
    -=Bradford

edited July 5, 2010
    I have multiple domains point to one website, SmugMug has some limitations but depending on your host you should be able to have multiple names all point to the same website.

True, I'll have to give it some thought on how to organize it all.

The good news is now the initial batch of photos are all up, I made a watermark for them, and all that is left is to get my test prints and choose which lab/finish I want wings.gif
    edited July 6, 2010
    Should I put Oaxaca and Costal into Journeys? I am just worried that 30-35 images might be overwhelming.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 6, 2010
    I think the two sites jive nicely and I love your BWs thumb.gif
    edited July 6, 2010
    Angelo wrote: »
    I think the two sites jive nicely and I love your BWs thumb.gif

I think for formatting I am going to take out all the landscape/cloud photos and put them in a specific landscape section, then leave all the shots looking at objects be it animals, houses, or other items in the Journeys gallery, any thoughts?
    edited July 6, 2010
    The one thing that you might also want to consider is a Smart Gallery or two. So that way you can have the same image in both. I have found on other websites that having the same item with multiple pathways to it to be very beneficial.

Oh yeah, just for a laugh, I could always be CanonsAndHondaBMW
    -=Bradford