Nooksack Falls

scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
edited July 5, 2010 in Landscapes
Happy 4th everyone. I spent time in the North Fork Nooksack River valley yesterday which included a stop to Nooksack Falls. I have a similiar shot from winter so I'm very happy to add a summer shot to my library.

923082204_iPA8P-L.jpg

Thanks for looking..

Comments

• ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    Any chance you can post the winter shot here as well? I poked through your galleries and I think I found the winter shots in the "Snow" category (I first looked in the "Water" section and almost gave up).

Looks like a cool place to visit.
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2010
    Sure thing:

492425477_6qSj7-L.jpg

This was taken in a snowstorm. There a a few distracting elements (branches) which I wanted to eliminate with my shot yesterday. Apparently, if I would have moved over 5 feet to my left, they would have been eliminated! Doh. This is the more "traditional" view of the falls (also in winter):

492425941_noT7Z-L.jpg

I wanted a more unique shot so I opted for a more sideways shot and also used a 6' ladder to gain some height for the downward perspective. The falls are easily accessible so it can be busy when the road is clear & open.

Without a doubt, the NF Nooksack River valley is one of my favorite places to be & shoot.
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    I like the summer setup better. How long was the hike? I'm guessing fairly short since you brought a ladder with you (that's dedication!). Thanks for the additional info and pics.
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    It's very short- 30 feet from the parking area. In winter, the road usually is not plowed but is an easy 1/4 mile hike off of the highway. It's steep and very slick around the falls so heed the warning signs about staying behind the fences. Several people have fallen to their deaths.