Quick help!

VelvtRideVelvtRide Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited July 5, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
I'm shooting fireworks tonight and would like opinions on what settings I should use on my Canon 10D. Please tell me everything you can think of as it relates to this particular camera. I'm shooting with a Canon L 17-40 lens and will be up close to the fireworks display.

I'm new to shooting this type of photography, so all help is welcome - but please hurry! LOL

Thanks so much!

Heidi

Comments

• ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    I shot fireworks for the first time last night. Different camera, but same general issues. I Google'd around and found several places with good tips:

- tripod!

- 'bulb' setting for exposure if at all possible (and remote shutter control to avoid camera shake)

- lowest ISO your camera can get (lets you hold the shutter open for several seconds, capturing multiple shells exploding - I captured singles, doubles, triples, and a couple quadruples last night without any looking overexposed while shooting ISO 100)

- manual focus! In the low light, your auto focus is likely useless…you'll be up close so try to pre-focus if you can (before dark) or set focus barely shy of infinity

- f/8 - f/16 (experiment a bit)

- consider zooming while the shutter is open (gives weird effects on the shots, especially if the shell is bursting off-center in your shot)

- have fun

I shot last night with a Nikon D90 using Nikon's 16-85 lens. I was about 300 yards from the launch spot had the camera at 16mm to start with - zoomed on a few shots (to experiment) but mostly just caught what happened to be in the camera's field of view. Some shots will go too high, too low, too far to the side - if you chase them, you may end up with nothing (but it's worth chasing some as part of learning/experimenting).

Have fun and post the results please!
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    One more tip - if possible, get some city buildings in the backgrounds of your shots. ImageX posted some cools shot showing nice city backgrounds.

My shots had only pitch-black sky behind them - you can see those in this thread: http://digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=171796