Staircase

squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
edited July 5, 2010 in Landscapes
went over to the Olympic Peninsula yesterday - hadn't been up along the east side in years - and stopped off at Staircase for some shots. this shot was taken from the river bank some distance "off the beaten path" so to speak; don't try this at home unless you're comfortable scrambling up and down very steep embankments and over large rocks! this particular image is a composite of 4 shots stitched together, with a touch of HDR... the file size is a tad over 24Mp, so it'll make enormous prints! :) 5D, 24-135 @ 24mm, .6 sec @ f/16 with a polarizer, manual mode to maintain exposure across the entire scene...

staircasepanosm.jpg
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Comments

• karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    I get both a sense of tranquility and of adventure from this image. thumb.gif
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    I love the scene but the HDR treatment leaves it looking a little "flat" for me. Are you using Photomatix? Have you tried the Exposure Fusion option? It provides the benefit of HDR in a much more natural look.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    scole wrote: »
    I love the scene but the HDR treatment leaves it looking a little "flat" for me. Are you using Photomatix? Have you tried the Exposure Fusion option? It provides the benefit of HDR in a much more natural look.

Steve,
    this was processed with ReDynaMix. part of the "flat" look is the lighting... it was mostly cloudy, and the river was not brightly lit. i could probably punch up the contrast a bit, but i don't want to blow out the whites...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com