A Few From a Recent Trip to Mount Mitchell, North Carolina

karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
edited August 20, 2010 in Landscapes
I recently went to Mount Mitchell in North Carolina (Highest point east of the Mississippi River) and took a few pictures form around the area.

1.) Forest and Fog along the path to the Summit of Mitchell.

923929243_Nc7Bb-XL.jpg

2.) Sunrise over Mt. Craig and Big Tom (the next two peaks from Mitchell).

923919177_akMWk-XL.jpg

3.) Roaring Fork Falls.

923931640_GEzMD-XL.jpg

4.) Roaring Fork Falls (alternate view).

923933296_CtfoZ-XL.jpg

5.) Clouds Rolling in over Mt. Craig and Big Tom.

923936867_EQkRt-XL.jpg

C&C is appreciated :D

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    I really like the first and last one. I've not heard of this mountain but it looks absolutely gorgeous and serene. Thanks for sharing!
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    First and last are exquisite! I'm headed to NC and TN for a few days--any other tips on where to shoot? Where is Mt Mitchell?

Thanks,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    Mount Mitchell is about a 45 minute drive up the Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville. Here is a link in Google Maps:

Map to Mitchell

I would also strongly suggest exploring Brevard, Transylvania County, and the surrounding regions -- especially US 64 as it heads west of Brevard -- that is an awesome drive!

Here are some pictures I took last fall from the Brevard area: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=148211

Here is a link to Kevin Adam's book on waterfalls in North Carolina, which is a must have if traveling out that way and waterfalls and hiking are on the agenda: http://www.amazon.com/North-Carolina-Waterfalls-Hiking-Photography/dp/0895873206/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1282305905&sr=8-1

Hope those links help -- enjoy your time in Western NC/Eastern TN!
  • AmbrolaAmbrola Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2010
    You are in my neighborhood. Great Photos. We have some wonderful falls and Mountain ranges. The biggest problem is smog. Years ago (20) mabey, you could see for miles. Now its just a haze. Take Linville falls for an example, just not as pretty as it used to be. But then again, what is?? I know for sure that I'm not. All the furniture makeing in the piedmont region put pollutants in the air, and it will take many years to fix? Still a beautiful mountain range with countless waterfalls and beatiful landscapes.