First shots with new sigma 150mm 2.8

Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
edited July 11, 2010 in Holy Macro
hope you like them, all 1:1. C&C always welcome :D
924142765_o9RkU-XL.jpg
924143063_gnSYR-XL.jpg

Let me also use the opportunity to ask my fellow photographer a question or two..

How do you guys best get the background light in the shot when using a flash? A lot of the shots i took had dark backgrounds and flashed foregrounds. I tried increasing the exposure time but that ended in motion blur.. DoF decrease helped but not what you want in macro.. what to do? :scratch
Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com

Comments

• R. ScottR. Scott Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    Nice shots, Chris! I tried to shoot a green damsel yesterday but scared it off when I got close.

I suppose you could get more exposure in the background by increasing ISO or decreasing shutter speed. Or maybe tilt your flash up a tad and spill some light onto the background. Something to try, anyway.
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2010
    Thanks! R Scott!
    R. Scott wrote: »
    I tried to shoot a green damsel yesterday but scared it off when I got close.

Exactly the reason i got the sigma 150, it doubles the working distance compared to my tamron 90mm. Still have lots to learn though, but at least i have something to shoot :D
  • DeVilDeVil Registered Users Posts: 1,037 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    Congratulations :)
    Very nice shots. You can even more increase working distance with [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tele Converters [/FONT]http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/accessories/tele-converter.htm
  • ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010

How do you guys best get the background light in the shot when using a flash? headscratch.gif

Nikon? Maybe use TTL BL mode on your flash?
    edited July 6, 2010
    Thanks Devil, i was planning on getting one of those for normal use so that would double the value!

@ ImageX: I'm going to see if something like that is available on the canon flash. headscratch.gif thanks for the tip though! thumb.gif
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    nikon calls it flash-compensation
    higher values give more light to subject
    lower values more light to background
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    LOvely captures with the new lens.

Re black backgrounds , fairly obviously you will get this problem if the background is not close to the subject and you are shooting more than 2 stops underexposed without the flash. You could shoot at higher ISO or slower shutter speed but doing this is going to lessen the proportion of flash light vs natural light hitting the subject therefore reducing the motion stopping power of the flash. A second slave flash on the background would solve the problem but not necessarily practical for a lot of macro shooting. I suspect this problem is actually worse for longer focal length macro lenses simply because the flash is further from the subject.
    When I'm using my MPE-65 lens, I often hold the the leaf/ twig the subject is on with my left hand and rest the camera lens on my hand. This helps to stabilise the camera but also means you can manipulate the subject a bit and change the shooting angle with respect to background. I even sometimes hold a leaf in my fingers behind the subject.

Brian V.
    edited July 9, 2010
    thanks for the tips everybody, i'm going to experiment with it this weekend :)

And watch the World Cup Finals Netherlands - Spain clap.gif (which we will win, obviously mwink.gif) HUP HOLLAND HUP!!!
    edited July 10, 2010
    Some more from the garden :D Oh i'm loving this new lens!! iloveyou.gif
    929898476_spHCq-XL.jpg

929898523_hcKim-XL.jpg

924148906_YLEob-XL.jpg

929899119_FpPEq-XL.jpg
  • Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2010
    Lovely shots Chris - the bug has bitten you now - and you'll go crazy if you don't do a photo a day!

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

• DeVilDeVil Registered Users Posts: 1,037 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2010
    Bumblebee is a beautiful thumb.gif
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited July 11, 2010
  • rhermansrhermans Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2010
    Looks like a great lens in the hands of someone who knows what he's doing.

Great series, (especially the second part)
    best regards

Ronny