Young couple

tropicotropico Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited July 7, 2010 in People
I had this shoot with a young couple this Sunday. It was fun, and my first time shooting a couple.
I think I captured some sweet moments.

Some color and some in black and white.

C&C Please!

924959058_digqT-L.jpg

924959787_SZPz7-L.jpg

923691095_q6xRT-L.jpg

923677822_YyV2p-L.jpg

923678183_BAVbB-L.jpg

923702071_tcZ2R-L.jpg

923696262_VxXPt-L.jpg

923678990_JoHoj-L.jpg

924961443_LFQCn-L.jpg

923680456_NXWdy-L.jpg

923680962_zWkWn-L.jpg

923681479_5EpXF-L.jpg

923682006_pXEnT-L.jpg
http://www.monicagarrett.com

Canon 5D MARK II, Canon EOS 450D
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon 18-55mm
Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 75-300mm, Tokina 10-24mm, Sigma 18-200mm

Comments

• ScootersbabygirlScootersbabygirl Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    I see some great shots there! The first one looks a bit posed for my tastes, but the ones where they're interacting with each other and where you can see the emotion are great. Good job!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    I liked the second one, and then had trouble keeping count... :D
    Please add numbers to make it easy to identify the pictures.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    Hi: I don't know if I really should be commenting on people shots as my galleries show very little if any - because I refuse to post on the internet family shots. However, I consider photos of people and flowers to be quite similar. So here goes: Your skin tone capture is magnificant - so natural. Your posing, except for the first shot are very nice. I really like the blowned out background, it really is working for these shots. Overall your shots IMHO have brought out the joy of youth. Displaying them at a middle or high school lobby should bring you additional sessions - if that is what you desire. Oh, I did miss a solo shot of the gal in color.
    One negative note - P L E A S E get rid of the by line plastered accross your work, IMO it distracts from your great work.
    ED

www.photoman74.smugmug.com
  • snowman1snowman1 Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
  • tropicotropico Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    I see some great shots there! The first one looks a bit posed for my tastes, but the ones where they're interacting with each other and where you can see the emotion are great. Good job!

Thanks!!

edited July 6, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    I liked the second one, and then had trouble keeping count... :D
    Please add numbers to make it easy to identify the pictures.

Thanks about the tip on numbering the photos. I have added numbers now!

edited July 6, 2010
    Flowerman wrote: »
    Hi: I don't know if I really should be commenting on people shots as my galleries show very little if any - because I refuse to post on the internet family shots. However, I consider photos of people and flowers to be quite similar. So here goes: Your skin tone capture is magnificant - so natural. Your posing, except for the first shot are very nice. I really like the blowned out background, it really is working for these shots. Overall your shots IMHO have brought out the joy of youth. Displaying them at a middle or high school lobby should bring you additional sessions - if that is what you desire. Oh, I did miss a solo shot of the gal in color.
    One negative note - P L E A S E get rid of the by line plastered accross your work, IMO it distracts from your great work.
    ED

www.photoman74.smugmug.com

The reason why I add the signature is because I`ve heard stories about people finding their work on other sites after adding them.
    It makes it harder to steal my photos! I totally agree that it look much better without them! I have also added them so that kids can find my name/webpage when the couple add my photos on Facebook and other sites. (They actually requested to have a signature on the photos lol)

Thank you for the nice comments on my photos! Good idea about showing them off to students at school. Never thought of that!

edited July 6, 2010
    snowman1 wrote: »

Thanks!

• D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    5, 11, 12 and 13..... I much likey. The others have (IMO) probs with pose and angles. And I *think* the B&W's need a wee bit more umph ne_nau.gif

Nice work. :D
    edited July 6, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote: »
    5, 11, 12 and 13..... I much likey. The others have (IMO) probs with pose and angles. And I *think* the B&W's need a wee bit more umph ne_nau.gif

Nice work. :D

Thanks.
    Well, I am an amature so I am still learning. Poses and angels are something I have to work on.
    I will try to work on my B&W also to improve the photos.
    Happy for all honest advise, that is how I learn!

• El PicosoEl Picoso Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    tropico wrote: »
    The reason why I add the signature is because I`ve heard stories about people finding their work on other sites after adding them.
    It makes it harder to steal my photos! I totally agree that it look much better without them! I have also added them so that kids can find my name/webpage when the couple add my photos on Facebook and other sites. (They actually requested to have a signature on the photos lol)

Thank you for the nice comments on my photos! Good idea about showing them off to students at school. Never thought of that!

Great photos! Actually, the way you have your Watermark, it would be very easy to just crop it out.
    edited July 6, 2010
    El Picoso wrote: »
    Great photos! Actually, the way you have your Watermark, it would be very easy to just crop it out.

True.
    Well at least if someone copy my photos without cropping it my name will show up... :D

• MacushlaMacushla Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    These are great I'm sure the clients will be thrilled. #5 is my fav.
    edited July 7, 2010
    Macushla wrote: »
    These are great I'm sure the clients will be thrilled. #5 is my fav.

Thanks! Yes, they are very happy with the result!

They are friends of me (she is my best friends daughter) so I did this for free to learn and hopefully I will get some advertisement, and more people would like me to take their photos.

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    For your first time working with a couple I feel you've done an outstanding job. You have some issues with posing (getting them to look thier slimest and or creating lines that flow), some issues with lighting ( making their faces broader instead of slimmer) but you've got the best part down. ESP.....expression sells portraits! You've connected with the couple and got them to connect with each other. They are both two beautiful people and that does help. Congrats.
    edited July 7, 2010
    Hackbone wrote: »
    For your first time working with a couple I feel you've done an outstanding job. You have some issues with posing (getting them to look thier slimest and or creating lines that flow), some issues with lighting ( making their faces broader instead of slimmer) but you've got the best part down. ESP.....expression sells portraits! You've connected with the couple and got them to connect with each other. They are both two beautiful people and that does help. Congrats.

Thank you for your critique.

I am dying to learn more, so I would be very happy if you could point out what I could have done better in my photos. (Specified with number on the photo)
    And how I could place them, how to use the light to make them look better.

Thank you in advanced.

• FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Hi Again: The following comments in no way negate my earlier comment that I really like your shots.
    Some specifics from a buyers point of view.
    #1 - Pose is not natural - IMO - out.
    #3 - Placement of hand - not natural - bad - out.
    #5 - IMO her hair should be brushed back over her shoulder to show more face and shoulder - it would be a better match to his.
    #8 - Placement of hands needs improving.
    Hand placement is a big problem for most artists - you were fortunate that this was not an engagement shoot where you had to highlight the engagement ring.
    #'s 2,4,6,7, 9,10,11,12,and 13 are good as presented and would be the ones I would purchase.

ED
    edited July 7, 2010
    Flowerman wrote: »
    Hi Again: The following comments in no way negate my earlier comment that I really like your shots.
    Some specifics from a buyers point of view.
    #1 - Pose is not natural - IMO - out.
    #3 - Placement of hand - not natural - bad - out.
    #5 - IMO her hair should be brushed back over her shoulder to show more face and shoulder - it would be a better match to his.
    #8 - Placement of hands needs improving.
    Hand placement is a big problem for most artists - you were fortunate that this was not an engagement shoot where you had to highlight the engagement ring.
    #'s 2,4,6,7, 9,10,11,12,and 13 are good as presented and would be the ones I would purchase.

ED

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain what I could have done better.
    #1 - I agree, this is not natural.
    #3 - Hmmm... Ok. Gotta work on this one...
    #5 - Yes, I totally agree. I should have fixed this while I shoot the photo. Didn`t see it untill reviewing my photos that her hair was a problem.
    #8 - I just shot them playing around in the grass, didn`t ask for any pose... Will be better at giving directions next time!

Once again! Thank you so much! I have so much to learn, and it is great to get critique like this! :)clap.gif