Product shot; Taxidermy (full Mt. Lion).

D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
edited July 8, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
I can't find a forum for product work so I *guess* this is the best place for it. If not, feel free to move elsewhere (Mods) - Thanks.

Done in studio using a large (3'x4') softy from above, with a slight amount of reflected light from below (off balanced/ratio clamshell setup).

C&C is fine w/ me and thanks for your time.

fullsize.jpg

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    That is awesome......from the ;ic I would say one very talented taxidermist also......
    not that I like the killing of animals not used for food...but still quite an artistic endeavor.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited July 6, 2010
    Well, we don't have a forum for ex-wildlife, so I guess this is the right place.

Technically, this looks like a fine shot. I just can't get beyond my own feelings about the "product," so I'll just leave it at that.
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    That is awesome......from the ;ic I would say one very talented taxidermist also......
    not that I like the killing of animals not used for food...but still quite an artistic endeavor.

Thanks, Art.... And just for the record, this animal WAS eaten; My Wife and I were invited over for the dinner and I must admit, very, verrry tasty critter - somewhat like pork! Lean but not 'dry'. mwink.gif

That said; our hunting restrictions in these parts are based on conservation.... It's hard for some to get into the mind space of 'controlled killing' actually benefits wildlife populations..... But that's neither here nor there - We're here for the pic's!!!

Thanks again for your time, Art - it's MUCH appreciated. :D
    edited July 6, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Well, we don't have a forum for ex-wildlife, so I guess this is the right place.

Technically, this looks like a fine shot. I just can't get beyond my own feelings about the "product," so I'll just leave it at that.

Understood and thanks for having a mind that's 'open enough' for leaving a comment.... I can respect that. mwink.gif
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    Nice job!

The lighting and the modeling is great!

I used to have a small plaster model posed almost exactly the same as the cat in your picture. I got it from the Catamount Brewery (White River Junction, VT); it reminded me so much of Miss Korky (deceased cat)…

Thanks for sharing!

thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
    edited July 6, 2010
    Wil Davis wrote: »

Thanks for sharing!

thumb.gif

Back atchya. thumb.gifthumb
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    Cool shot! Well lit and very well done taxidermy.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    I think you could have posted this in Wildlife and not mentioned what it was. I wouldn't have known the diff! :D
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Wonderful lighting on this. Those animals are so beautiful :D
    edited July 7, 2010
    Thwack wrote: »
    Cool shot! Well lit and very well done taxidermy.

Glad you like it, Thwack. Thanks for leaving me the comments.
    edited July 7, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    I think you could have posted this in Wildlife and not mentioned what it was. I wouldn't have known the diff! :D

schmoo;

I struggled back-n-forth about posting it here, or over there..... In the end, it *is* a product shot that'll be used for advertising. And as Richard stated, it's "ex-wildlife" (that made me chuckle). Anywho, I'm glad people are willing to even comment on it, as an image.

Thanks for your contrib's. thumb.gif
    edited July 7, 2010
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Wonderful lighting on this. Those animals are so beautiful :D

Thank you!

I've had several different pieces in the studio (deer, bears, exotics...), and everyone that has passed through is gravitated to this one - They're breath-taking in person. I've also found that people are amazed just how BIG these cats can be. This fella weighed in @ 170's and the log he's sitting on is just shy of 6'. :wow

Truly a lion!
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote: »
    Thank you!

I've had several different pieces in the studio (deer, bears, exotics...), and everyone that has passed through is gravitated to this one - They're breath-taking in person. I've also found that people are amazed just how BIG these cats can be. This fella weighed in @ 170's and the log he's sitting on is just shy of 6'. :wow

Truly a lion!

WOW -- that's a big one. They just caught a big one in ND. Seems they're showing up more and more in our state. I think that's great....ranchers don't tho :cry

Again....beautiful work thumb.gif
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    :whew Super Nice. Totally sweet result. thumb.gif
    Ex Wildlife... That's rounding it out. A chuckle yes. For sure.
    Michael
    edited July 8, 2010
    DaddyO wrote: »
    :whew Super Nice. Totally sweet result. thumb.gif
    Ex Wildlife... That's rounding it out. A chuckle yes. For sure.

THANK YOU, DADDYOOOOO!!!

Today I did up a specimen from New Zealand (Tahr) - An incredible looking animal and it is also a full-sized mount. Once I get the imagery worked up, I'll post up a new thread.... Might be a few days; stay tuned. thumb.gif