This firework wasn't so much fun

00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
edited July 9, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
This is from our block party on Sunday, this triple artillery shell detonated in the tube and blew it apart in all directions... luckily no one was hurt (other than a couple small burns). This was much scarier to everyone there than my pic depicts.. as i was shooting in bursts and just caught one frame as i ducked myself.

925642056_nrJvQ-L.jpg

This one I just liked :D (although i should go back and get rid of some of the noise)

925641839_5zBvK-L.jpg
Devin

Comments

• sharagim1sharagim1 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    nice pictures .
    please say which dslr camera and lens did you used also with your setup.

i used canon 7d with
    70-200mm f/2.8L IS II but i wasn"t able to shoot great pictures with this great lens.
    this is was my first shooting on fireworks .can you tell me what setup on my camera should be post to be?
    thanks
    canon EOS 7D /canon 5d mark ll/ EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM/EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM/ canon lens 85mm 1.8
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    Devin,

I really like that second shot.
    Randy
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    Glad you survived the first shot. Nice capture there too.
  • 00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    sharagim1 wrote: »
    nice pictures .

i used canon 7d with
    70-200mm f/2.8L IS II but i wasn"t able to shoot great pictures with this great lens.
    this is was my first shooting on fireworks .can you tell me what setup on my camera should be post to be?
    thanks

hello sharagim - Those were shot with my Nikon D80 with a Tamron 17-50 2.8. I was shooting handheld, wide open at 2.8 and then bumped the iso to 400 and used manual focus. I would like to say this isn't the best way to capture fireworks, I had much better results in previous attempts by using a tripod and remote shutter.. but this way gave me the flexibility I wanted for this time around. I hope that helps...
    Devin
    edited July 6, 2010
    rwells wrote: »
    Devin,

I really like that second shot.

Hiya Randy - glad you like it, thanks for taking a look.
    Devin
    edited July 6, 2010
    Thwack wrote: »
    Glad you survived the first shot. Nice capture there too.

Many thanks - I was mostly worried for the kids around.. next year there will be a strict distance rule enforced.
    Devin
  • CdorothyCdorothy Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    sharagim1 wrote: »
    nice pictures .

i used canon 7d with 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II but i wasn"t able to shoot great pictures with this great lens.
    thanks

Hi, I don't mean to butt in here but I have the same lens as you and was happy with my shots. I had the camera on manual at f16 and put it on "bulb". I used a cable release and held it anywhere from 2-9 seconds. Also use a tripod. Another thing was to use manual focus, I just turned it all the way-I think it's "infinity". I hope this helps although you probably won't get to test it for a while. My photos are posted under CDorothy.
    Chris
  • chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    There was a similar incident at the San Marcos CA fireworks show where several people suffered minor injuries. It leads me to believe that the fireworks techs were trained by BP.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    Count yourself lucky, Devin. Others this year, not so much...
    http://gothamist.com/2010/07/05/doctors_cant_re-attach_arm_blown_of.php
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"