White Background & Only 2 Lights

NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
edited July 30, 2010 in Technique
And there are 2 subjects....

1 light could do it then hit the back with the other but I am trying to avoid the shadows that would produce.

I could just have the white not be too bright and dodge the hell out of it in post processing.

But the most interesting option is to use my SB-24 as a second softer flash and that would set off the other 2 including one on the back.

So my question is what kind of success people have had with those little soft boxes on speed lights? And have you ever mixed/matched them with mono lights or other studio lights, and how were the results (was the color of the light that different?)

Comments

• D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    What would you use the SB-24 and sm. softy for?
    Will this be used on camera?

Bigger the modifier, the softer the light (and you state you want soft) - If you're looking for that little guy that's intended for on camera uses, you better get CLOSE to you sub's. And I think feathering would be a b_tch.... Perhaps an umbrella w/ cheap radio triggers, instead??? It would be more versatile for studio and location work.

ne_nau.gif
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    D'Buggs wrote: »
    What would you use the SB-24 and sm. softy for?
    Will this be used on camera?

Bigger the modifier, the softer the light (and you state you want soft) - If you're looking for that little guy that's intended for on camera uses, you better get CLOSE to you sub's. And I think feathering would be a b_tch.... Perhaps an umbrella w/ cheap radio triggers, instead??? It would be more versatile for studio and location work.

ne_nau.gif

I am shooting with the Nikon/Fuji but then thought for a second.....I have an Olympus FL-36R which can be set as a slave, so I am going to try to have that one for the background.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 7, 2010
    Remember that proximity to the background matters when considering the shadows and that adjusting aperture controls the flash.
    Also, whether you bounce the light or use direct flash also affects shadow.

As for the softbox on the flash, it works like you'd expect it to on any other light. Which should answer your mix/match question as well :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • lukeolukeo Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    So my question is what kind of success people have had with those little soft boxes on speed lights? And have you ever mixed/matched them with mono lights or other studio lights, and how were the results (was the color of the light that different?)

This thread is a couple of weeks old, but I'm interested to know how it turned out. Were you able to white out the background successfully?
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2010
    lukeo wrote: »
    This thread is a couple of weeks old, but I'm interested to know how it turned out. Were you able to white out the background successfully?

Yup, I needed the black background which I have properly hung up for some more work this week so left it and just used some white background paper in the corner, and the subject changed for this test at least to working with some flowers:

951914160_fepos-O.jpg

And it worked clap.gif

949477423_XR4YG-O.jpg

948398454_VVPhZ-O-1.jpg

I have all 7 of the final images up here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=173648

But it shouldn't be an issue with people now for the waist up shots I was planning