D5000-A poor mans D90?

digger2digger2 Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
edited July 7, 2010 in Cameras
Or a valid substitute?

Comments

• r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2010
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d5000.htm

I love ken rockwell's reviews. He lives by the "it's the artist not the brush" principle. :)
    (hope that link helps!)

EDIT: Personally, the Dx000 series doesn't work for me since none of them are compatible with the older lenses that have no motors in them (which I use because the venerable D50 was compatible with them).

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    digger2 wrote: »
    Or a valid substitute?

Do you need slightly higher FPS? A second control dial? The ability to focus with older AF lenses?

If yes then the D90 is for you.

If now the D5000 is a good buy, think of it this way the D90 and D5000 use the same "film" so just like the good ole days you are buying just the features in the body that you want.
  • digger2digger2 Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    I am upgrading from a D70. Or one D70 and one D70s. The S would then become my backup.
    No older lens's so no problem there. Plus the d 90 replacement should be just arround the corner, but at what cost I wonder.
    Do you need slightly higher FPS? A second control dial? The ability to focus with older AF lenses?

If yes then the D90 is for you.

If now the D5000 is a good buy, think of it this way the D90 and D5000 use the same "film" so just like the good ole days you are buying just the features in the body that you want.
  • BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    I have the D90 and absolutely love it. Having features like bracketing, two control dials, comander mode for the flash, in body focus motor etc etc etc make this a great choice.

being able to purchase the 85 1.8 or 50 1.8 and use the af-d focus system makes the D90 a much better choice in my eyes. You can also use the famous 80-200 2.8!thumb.gif

Another thing I like about my D90 more than the D5000 is the size of the body. The D5000 is simply too small for my hands.

If cost is the main issue, I would wait a month or two longer and save up for the difference in cost and get the D90!wings.gif

Good luck on your search!
  • skysailorskysailor Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    I have the impression some would be better going with a good used D70, or D80 than the D3000/5000, simply because they can use lenses without motors? I'm very happy with my D200, which was a good chunk of cash cheaper than a shiny new D90, just for the sheer heft of the thing. I find the D90, a little too, shall we say, "plastic" in my hands?
    Lyle
    Gear: D200, G9, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikkor 35 f/1.8, Vivitar Series 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.8, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
  • r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    skysailor wrote: »
    I have the impression some would be better going with a good used D70, or D80 than the D3000/5000, simply because they can use lenses without motors? I'm very happy with my D200, which was a good chunk of cash cheaper than a shiny new D90, just for the sheer heft of the thing. I find the D90, a little too, shall we say, "plastic" in my hands?
    Lyle
    Have you seen the noise comparos between the ol' trusty 200 and the 90? The squirrels working behind the scenes in the 90 are totally different (and on steroids) when compared to the ones in the 200.

Even the sharpness here:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90/sharpness-comparison.htm

And ISO here:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d90/iso-3200.htm

Quick quote:
    What about the D40?

If money makes any difference, forget the D90. Digital cameras are a rich man's game. You don't need to spend $999 every other year just because Nikon or some web site says so. If I was on a budget and didn't shoot these cameras all day, every day, I'd never want anything other than the D40 for $499, complete with a great lens. I have no problem making great 20x30" prints from my D40 and its dinky kit lens.

The reason to buy a D90 is for the many subtle extra features, like a depth-of-field preview button, and for the better pictures in most picture-taking situations afforded by the Auto ADR feature, which is always on by default.

If you know how to turn on all the hot stuff in the D90, like ADR and adjust the Picture Controls which are newer and more flexible than the D40, D60 and D80, by all means, get a D90. I hope to have a plain-English user's guide to the D90 which will show you how to use all these great features, in which case, the D90 will be able to crank out more vivid colors and smoother skin tones than the D40.

What About the D80?

History! Forget it.

Get a D40 instead of a D80 if money is an issue. The D40 is 95% the same as the D80, except for a few minor features.

What about the D300 and D700?

Each of these is much tougher (and heavier) than the D90 if you're going to bang it around. Each is also much faster if you're shooting a lot of sports.

The funny reality of the world today is that the newer D90 has identical technical image quality to the older D300 and $5,000 D3 in good light.

Paying more gets you more durability and faster focus and frame rates, but that's about it. All these have the same superb LCD and image quality.

If you shoot in the dark, pro photographers first improve the light. If you can't improve the lighting and need to shoot at high ISOs, the D700 and D3 are vastly superior to an DX camera.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    digger2 wrote: »
    I am upgrading from a D70. Or one D70 and one D70s. The S would then become my backup.
    No older lens's so no problem there. Plus the d 90 replacement should be just arround the corner, but at what cost I wonder.

Then I would go for the D90 since the controls will be similar and you wont go for the wrong dial or button at a crucial moment.