Options

IS/OS and Tripods

skysailorskysailor Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
edited July 15, 2010 in Technique
Dumb question of the day. How does OS/IS work/not work while the camera is on a tripod? All my shooting is hand held with the OS "on".
Lyle
Gear: D200, G9, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikkor 35 f/1.8, Vivitar Series 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.8, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    IS gives some vibration / motion of its own
    so , with a tripod , IS makes things worse

me , i dont use it at all , and i dont even have a tripod
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited July 7, 2010
    There is no singular optical IS implementation.

Some of the newer versions sense when mechanical stabilization is used and turn off the IS automatically. Some IS systems allow single axis stabilization (switch selected) to help with panning motion only.

Some IS systems will go into a feedback loop when they are turned on and the mounted on a physical support, resulting in blurred images.

When in doubt about a particular lens, ask here or consult the owner's manual for the lens or contact the manufacturer.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    I was shooting fireworks over the 4th and most of my images captured the straight lines of the firework trails as squiggles. I was using my Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM lens zoomed out to 200mm. I used a tripod and remote shutter release. At first I thought the squiggly lines were due to the windy conditions I was shooting in but when I look at the squiggles they seem to be too uniform a frequency to be from random wind vibrations.

I thought I had turned off my IS but when I checked the lens the next day IS was turned on. I am now thinking the squiggles may have been caused by the IS system being active while being tripod mounted. The owner's manual does say to turn off IS when on a tripod or dong long exposure shots and I usually follow that advise.

Here is one shot that is a good example of the squiggly lines I am talking about. What's your thought on the cause, could this be just the result of IS being enabled combined with the sensitivity of the 200mm focal length?

923706672_c28Er-X2.jpg

And one more:

923710212_FvVtG-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    I know with all the experience here someone will have opinion on if my firework squiggles were caused by IS being turned on while mounted on a tripod or not?ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,903 moderator
    edited July 9, 2010
    BGarland, yes, that is very likely the result of the IS system caught in a feedback loop of oscillations. You can probably confirm this by shooting something similar, perhaps traffic and tail-lights at night, with the same lens and camera on a tripod, testing with the IS on and IS off.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2010
    Thanks Ziggy, I'll try that. Or maybe I'll just save this for special effects, :D
  • Options
    JustPeachy2JustPeachy2 Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2010
    fireworks squiggles
    bgarland wrote: »
    Thanks Ziggy, I'll try that. Or maybe I'll just save this for special effects, :D

The first pictures make me think of a palm tree experiencing an electric shock! JustPeachy2
  • Options
    BigCameraBigCamera Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 15, 2010
    bgarland wrote: »
    I know with all the experience here someone will have opinion on if my firework squiggles were caused by IS being turned on while mounted on a tripod or not?ne_nau.gif
    All of the manufacturers say to turn off stabilization when using camera/lens support. It is like a skitzophreniac looking for motion and there is none so it creates its own.
    But really like noise cancelling headphones, the lens using a competing frequency of vibration to cancel motion.
    R