Some help please

JHarris1984JHarris1984 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
edited July 13, 2010 in Finishing School
Hi all,

I have lurked here for a long time and have always had a passion for photography however my post processing skills do need some work. The most I can honestly do with any real precision is probably crop something and press the auto color button. Definitely something I wish to improve upon soon but for now I do have a favor.

I recently got married and I couldn't afford a real photographer (actually ended up selling my camera to help pay for the wedding...) so since we did have a lot of friends with cameras taking pictures I asked all of them to send us the original pictures. The lighting was harsh and no one is beyond amateur skills but my wife and I liked these two pictures. I was hoping some one could touch them up so that I could print them and we could have them in our home. I'd love to have them in 11x14 size.

Thank you very much. I truly understand that each and everyone's time is valuable and I normally wouldn't ask but this is beyond my ability. I am also up for learning as their are several more pictures in the set that probably could use some work so if you're willing if you could include your steps that would be awesome as well.

Thanks again,

Jon Harris

For the sake of bandwidth while reading the page I put small ones here. The full size images are available by clicking each picture.

wedding1small.jpg

wedding2small.jpg

Jon

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Imho
    These only need a bit of lighting of the faces and a touch of contrast.......I like them.........

Actually when I cliked the top photo the resulting download was smaller ......ne_nau.gifdunno

The originals were jpgs i presume.............

If I wasn't so far behind I'd have you ftp the actual original file...but alas...I am leaving town for 4 days and that puts me even farther behind......it seems to bew one of those "the harder and faster I work the BEHINDER i get" things for me right now.....break is over must return to real business no more fun on Dgrin for a while today.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• JHarris1984JHarris1984 Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Actually when I cliked the top photo the resulting download was smaller ......ne_nau.gifdunno

I'd suspect that your browser is resizing it so that it fits within your screen. If you hold your mouse over the picture that opened it should have a magnifying glass instead of a pointer. It should make the image large then. Also right clicking and saving will get you the original.

Jon
    edited July 7, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    The originals were jpgs i presume.............

Yeah there are no RAW shots available.. =(

I hope you have a good time out of town. I actually just got back from DC from the 4th. Great time.

Jon
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    I'm no pro by any means but I gave it a shot. Maybe others will have better enhancements.

926769981_rXsQ8-X2.jpg

926770157_juGpM-X2.jpg

If you like them just email me and I can send you the full size version.
    edited July 7, 2010
    bgarland wrote: »
    I'm no pro by any means but I gave it a shot. Maybe others will have better enhancements.

If you like them just email me and I can send you the full size version.

Thanks for taking the time to edit these. Would you be willing to tell me what you did?

Anyone else out there willing to take a stab as well?

Jon
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Thanks for taking the time to edit these. Would you be willing to tell me what you did?

Anyone else out there willing to take a stab as well?

I just pulled them into Lightroom and set the black and white points and then increased the clarity, contrast and color saturation a bit. I also lightened your face with the adjustment brush to increase the exposure a little. I also warmed up the white balance about 10%.

These were rough adjustments. I'm sure someone who knows Photoshop better could improve them even more.
  • kwcrowkwcrow Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2010
    I had a go at one of them.
    Selected shadowy part of the faces and front of the bodies and applied curves to lighten.
    Also ran shadow highlights to brighten shadows and recapture some highlights.
    wedding1_edited.jpg
  • kwcrowkwcrow Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2010
    Tried the second one.
    Straightened horizon and Applied shadow highlights then adjusted curves and end points and put contrast in the most important areas.
    Got rid of hot spots on foreheads.
    11X14 would be pushing it a bit. I don't know how you posted the bigger images (I don't have a Smugmug account), but I could send them directly to you if you want to get me your e-mail.
    wedding2_edit.jpg