Cascade Bay Waterfall Plus...

NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
edited July 9, 2010 in Landscapes
This past weekend we visited Cascade Bay on Prince William Sound. The bay is well known for having the largest waterfall in the Sound. It is indeed an impressive fall that dumps directly into the tide waters of the bay. Impressed as we were, however, the fall was not very photogenic. It was also difficult to photograph as it can only be approached by water with the closest opposing shoreline being half a mile or so across the bay. But after we found a spot to anchor our boat a little ways down the bay, we went ashore and found an interesting little creek. Overall it was a good day :D

Cascade Falls
126271301.jpg

Here is a shot taken the following morning (in the rain) which gives some perspective on size. The yacht (not ours :cry) in the picture is 50 ft (15m) or so long.

126271300.jpg

And here is the little gem of a creek we found a little ways down the bay. It was fairly well hidden by thick alder bushes along the banks. Unfortunately alder lined creeks are a favorite haunt of bears in this part of the world. Fortunately we didn't run into any :rolleyes

Here's a shot taken from just above tideline where it drains into the bay.
126313707.jpg

Working upstream from there...
EXIF=1s f/29.0 at 46.0mm iso200
126273378.jpg

My personal favorite of the trip.
EXIF=0.77s f/29.0 at 45.0mm iso200
126313332.jpg

Any farther than this would have required getting out in the bushes for a ways.
EXIF=0.77s f/29.0 at 32.0mm iso200
126273379.jpg

One could easily have spent hours wandering further upstream until you reached a spot where the creek tumbled near verticle for 200-300 feet down the side of a cliff. I lacked the personal courage to do so in light of the high liklihood of running into the local residents somewhere along the way :huh

I guess the photographic moral of this story is "keep your eyes and mind open". The best photo to be had may not be the one you were looking for :dunno
Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...

Comments

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    My first thought was -- where's the scale to show the size of the waterfall and you answered that in the second photo. I actually like the creek photos more than the waterfall though. Very nice work with those thumb.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2010
    Thanks, Pete. The creek was definately the highlight of the trip. I just couldn't do anything with the falls headscratch.gif
    Dan

• MelPMelP Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    I love the last 3 shots!! clap.gif Do you mind sharing your settings for these? I tried numerous waterfalls over the weekend and most of the water seemed way too bright (think it had to do with the bright sun)

Mel
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    This is in incredibly gorgeous area! I'm glad you didn't surprise any bears, too. I bet one could spend days just hiking and exploring the lush green lands there. thumb.gif

I love the shot of the waterfall and the yacht. I kind of like how it was raining, as it added a little mystery to the air.
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    Thanks for the encouraging words, Schmoo. There is no shortage of landscape opportunities up here. With the amount of rain we get on the coast, I need to figure out how to take advantage it and create some good effects headscratch.gif
    MelP wrote: »
    ... Do you mind sharing your settings for these? I tried numerous waterfalls over the weekend and most of the water seemed way too bright (think it had to do with the bright sun)

Mel
    All images taken with D200 w/16-85mm, polarizer used in lieu of having an ND filter, tripod, timer release. Edited original post with EXIF added to last three images as requested.

There are others in the forums much more experienced than me, but from my limited knowledge I'd say if you were taking stream/fall shots in bright sunlight, you would definately need an ND filter and assuming there are dark rocks and/or moss in the stream, you'd probably have to use HDR and combine a couple of exposures. Ideal stream/fall photography needs overcast sky or shade. Actually I think I missed optimum shutter speed on these shots. I was trying to get longer shutter to get that real misty effect but I didn't have an ND filter with me. So I ended up between smooth motion and misty. With small creeks like this I've had pretty good smooth results with 1/5 to 1/10s and I've seen really misty stuff by others at 5s plus. These were in between and ended up kind of ... fuzzy?ne_nau.gif
    Dan