From 7D to 5D MkII yes or no??

2»

Comments

• OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2010
    ront wrote: »
    Boy call me a bit of a novice still if you want, but what is wrong with the 2 pics posted from Yellowstone? The one of the mountains seem to be a bit on the cool side (WB) on my monitor, but the Eagle looks pretty good. The comparison shots are not enough of a comparison to make a real judgment call IMHO.

Ron

It's correctly white balanced but it's got a lot of blue in the shadows
  • rickprickp Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Well I'm back from the zoo.
    This is what the 5D did for me today.
    I shot these with a 70-200mm f2.8 lens. My 7D had a 24-105mm f4.0 lens on it. My 7D didn't perform as well as the 5D, which is what I expected. Even as I was going through the images with my girlfriend we both agreed that the 5D has a clarity in the images that the 7D just falls short on. I guess it's time for a 5D. Anyone need a 7Dicon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
    I know the monkey images is a bit under exposed. I was too lazy to edit it right now.
    I woudl say 80 to 85% of the images looked this sharp with the 5D. The 7D maybe 50 to 60% were acceptable.
    R.

Tiger.jpg

Monkey.jpg
    Canon 5DMk II | 70-200mm f2.8 IS USM | 24-105mm f4.0 IS USM | 85mm f1.8 prime.
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2010
    In your test shots the focus point of the 7D image is on the leaf in the foreground, while the focus point of the 5DII image is on the roof tiles. The fact that you would submit this as a valid comparison of sharpness tells me you may not be ready to be making comparisons of the two cameras. If you have the money and you just want a 5DII, then get one. If it will be a financial stretch for you, then I would recommend spending some more time with your 7D to ensure that what you are seeing is the limitations of the gear and not the user. The 5DII is capable of much softness and aggravation if not used properly.

edit - furthermore, comparing shots taken with different lenses is not scientific.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited July 26, 2010
    jm,
    the focus point is the same on both shots, at least it was when I snapped the shot.
    I also spent half the day on sunday shooting with both cameras and the 5D did better than the 7D all around. Again it just has a clarity that my 7D is missing.
    TO be honest I'm thinking something is wrong with this camera so I'm calling Canon and sending it off to them again. I also know it's not me because the 5D did well all day and I was happy with the results. That tells me it's not the nut behind the machine.

R.
    edited July 26, 2010
    Did you calibrate your 7D's AF for your lenses?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited July 27, 2010
    Canon did, to three different ones. THe 17-55mm 2.8 the 70-200mm 2.8 and a 24-105mm 4.0
    I think the issue is beyond that at this point.

R.
    edited July 27, 2010
    Hmm, bummer. Back to your roof tile test shots though, realize that the AF points are larger than they appear in the viewfinder. It's reasonable that the 7D grabbed the leaf and the 5DII grabbed the roof, even if you tried to focus on the same thing in each shot. But the fact is, the two cameras are focused on different planes, and in these particular shots I don't think the 7D can be blamed.

In any case, it sounds like the 5DII AF is working better for you, which is a happy coincidence because I do believe it has the ultimate IQ Canon has to offer this side of 3 grand, which is also what you're looking for. You might ask the rental place if you can just buy that one, so you know you'll be getting a good copy. (not that I've heard of many bad copies)
    -Jack

edited July 27, 2010
    jm,
    Yeah I agree the 5D is a better fit. I do like the 7D though and I really do want it to work for me.
    The 5D i rented is a good but you can tell it's been USED!!!! so I would rather take a chance with a new one.

R.
    edited July 27, 2010
    A 7D/5DII combo would be awesome, as long as the 7D's AF is sorted. That is the only reason to have it. I hope you get this resolved.

Rental - yeah, get a new 5DII then.
    -Jack

edited July 27, 2010
    I hope it gets sorted too, i really do.
    A 7D/5DII combo would be awesome, as long as the 7D's AF is sorted. That is the only reason to have it. I hope you get this resolved.

Rental - yeah, get a new 5DII then.