A summer sunset: the San Francisco treat

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited July 11, 2010 in Landscapes
For real. I thought sunsets weren't supposed to exist between the months of May and August!

They say the city never sleeps, but it sure takes a while for the lights to come on:

926904673_RtScT-XL-1.jpg

Bay Bridge silhouette:

926904644_o7kCG-XL-1.jpg

Midday Alcatraz:

926934416_uyvFy-XL.jpg

Trying to get out there more and use the camera before I forget what all those buttons do. Hope everyone's enjoying their summer! (or winter if yer down-under :lol3)

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 8, 2010
    I can't find the like button thumb.gif And I can't wait for the new signature pieces of the bridge to be installed. They're coming today or tomorrow and should be installed "soon".
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    ian408 wrote: »
    I can't find the like button thumb.gif And I can't wait for the new signature pieces of the bridge to be installed. They're coming today or tomorrow and should be installed "soon".

lol3.gif Thanks!

I'm so outta the loop. I thought they did all that construction months ago to "fix" the bridge, and now they're building more? Are they installing a second bridge just to double the amount of lanes and relieve traffic? Or will it lead to the pot 'o gold?
    edited July 8, 2010
    Me too. Then they decided they needed a new one. It's expensive and once the new one is done, the old one goes.
  • dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2010
    I love the fact that their is three bridges in one shot. The old and new Bay Bridge and the Bridge of the container crane....very cool
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • nazquelnazquel Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    LOVE the second one. I noted you shot it at 200mm... mind me asking what lens?
    Navin Sarma

Washington, D.C., based landscape and fine art photographer

http://navinsarmaphotography.com/
    edited July 9, 2010
    dadwtwins wrote: »
    I love the fact that their is three bridges in one shot. The old and new Bay Bridge and the Bridge of the container crane....very cool

I think you can get the ggb in there too.
    edited July 9, 2010
    nazquel wrote: »
    LOVE the second one. I noted you shot it at 200mm... mind me asking what lens?

Thanks! The 70-200 2.8, and there was a bit of cropping involved too since I had some water and other stuff around the edges that I didn't want to keep.

The zoom was enough for that shot, but for the skyline itself I wished i had at least 400. HTH!
    edited July 9, 2010
    dadwtwins wrote: »

I never thought about it like that. Very cool! Nice how you can photograph all those bridges from that one spot but they kick you away if you're on the island. :D
    edited July 9, 2010
    very nice. i just got the 200/2.8 (prime) so im anxious to see it in action.
    Navin Sarma

edited July 9, 2010
    nazquel wrote: »
    very nice. i just got the 200/2.8 (prime) so im anxious to see it in action.

From what I understand, you'll have much better luck than I did. Primes should get the sharpness I was lacking! thumb.gif
    edited July 9, 2010
    umm yours is plenty sharp to me!!
    Navin Sarma

• SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    Were you in Alameda?
    Great shots!
    edited July 9, 2010
    Close! These were taken in Oakland's Middle Harbor Shoreline Park. I have embarassingly been so rarely over to the East Bay that I had thought until just now that Alameda was on the north side of the Bay Bridge. Ack. :hide
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    Well, it's north of the San Mateo bridge...just tell people that. Laughing.gif
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    Good to see someone in California is getting some sunsets lately, cause San Diego has been sorely lacking lately!

Great photos, Schmoo! I'm really digging the pastel colors of the first one! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • bradtroyphotographybradtroyphotography Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2010
    Great compositions and lighting in each of these shots. Excellent work!

Brad Troy Photography
    View my Landscape, Cityscape & Nature Photography

"There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs." ~Ansel Adams~