Options

LR2, Genuine Fractals or PS4 for raw to humongous file

BenderBender Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited July 15, 2010 in Finishing School
I have a client who has a Canon raw file with a size of 10.8 mb.

She needs to make this file 168" tall (14 feet), we are cropping the image to make a diptych and I will be removing rocks, debris and adding "pond scum" in photoshop. Then we will print the images on canvas.

My question is, would it be better to bring the image into LR2, do the color correction and have LR "develop" the image at the size we need? Or use Photoshop raw conversion, then upres in 110% increments? Or use genuine fractals?

We would like the diptych to look as good as possible. At this point, I have tried both LR2 and PS4 and I'm leaning towards LR... but, I'd like to hear what your experiences are.

Also, I need to say in both photoshop and lightroom, I am getting some haloing effects. LR2 seems a little sharper and very little in any pixelation. Photoshop so far is softer with some pixelation and color isn't great.

Thanks for any feedback you have... it is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2010
    You will hear from Art soon with more details I am sure, but Genuine Fractals will do a better job than ether PS or LR.

The real key is how good is the original image? What will the viewing distance be? You may also want to contact the company that will be printing this image for their recommendations.

Many company's have RIPs that are very good and they know their printers.

Sam
  • Options
    BenderBender Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited July 15, 2010
    Sam wrote: »
    You will hear from Art soon with more details I am sure, but Genuine Fractals will do a better job than ether PS or LR.

The real key is how good is the original image? What will the viewing distance be? You may also want to contact the company that will be printing this image for their recommendations.

Sam

Thanks Sam... I appreciate any info I can get. I've downloaded a demo of Genuine Fractals 6 Professional and will see how it does.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    Sam wrote: »

Sam

Totally agree.............

I was a fan of GF long before I ever heard of Vincent Versace.........
    The older version I use allows a 300% uprez...........I had heard that 1000% is possible with the newer version.....it does greatly depend on your image file, as stated by SAM above....

The key to what I do is pretty simple. I work off of the 4x5 aspect ratio...so in PS i go to image size and open the sizing dialogue box....before I start I make sure the only box ticked is the constrain proportions then I change the dpi to 300-400 depending on the actual file and get it as close to 8x10 as possible...then do all off my PS work EXCEPT SHARPENING......sharpening is the very last thing prior to saving the finished jpg....after all PS is done the off to GF change dimensions as needed...look at preview...do not save until you are satisfied with GF'ed image so you do not use up your alotted saved images from GF...........do not crop into the tryp until after GF and sharpening......My local Pro lab likes the GF images better than the various RIPS he has......That 300dpi image will give a MUCH MUCH closer viewing distance of the final image Than uprezing the native 72dpi image...........................

Hope this helps
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website