Options

No Trespassing, the creek

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited August 24, 2005 in Wildlife
of course. I was driving to find birds, and light. I knew I saw some light downtown, I also almost got killed by an SUV. I came back to Mt Pleasant. I had had a root canal, I was entitled to photo birds....... on my way, I saw the Shem Creek dock from a different direction. With birds on it, yes there are birds!, and a vacant lot just right to pull my car in. This here, where I am, some of the most valuable real estate in the Charleston area, not the most, but getting pretty high here. Doesn't look like it, that is why it is valuable.:rofl .

I came in, parked, hoped for light and hoped that no one would come chase me away. I think I got a few photos out of it, maybe not the best, but took my mind off of spending more money on my teeth than a darn fine lens would have been.

Uh, oh, not much light there, but the sign, loved the sign! And the tree, the storm about to happen, too.
33293019-L.jpg

I took different DOFs, and different fence shots, this one I even worked up in black and white as I had just read about Channel mixer, the technique, etc. I don't know why I thought it would have changed since my last black/white.

33293003-L.jpg

The birds were really hoping for food. (I could stand by the fence opening w/o going in there. I would have been too visible if I had gone further. I used the 70-200 again with the 1 1/4 extender.)

This shot, well, it came out better than I would have expected. I don't remember it looking that nice. Maybe it was PS??? Also, I worked this up two different ways, I think this is the one where I used a bit of the 81 warming filter.

33293053-L.jpg

I finally just sat down where the wood was. This bird started walking towards me. Eventually he flew, but even with the ISO at 800 by then it was too dark, from the storm that soon made driving uncomfortable and the thought of running in the house, well the reality was as bad as the thought. My bag is still out there.

I think the sky is in this one, a blown sky. I tried not using it, but it just looked chopped up. I know it should have been a better sky, but it wasn't, and this bird, he was a cool bird.

You might compare this photo with the one above. No warming filter here, I don't know how it would have looked with it.

33293790-L.jpg

Same shot, w 81 warming filter, even used it at 35...... it was dreary, kind of the opposite of "light".

33298889-L.jpg

Later, thanks,
and comments???

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    eek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gifne_nau.gif Ginger....what have you done? You crashed past the gate...didn't you? rolleyes1.gif Just tell 'em you're blind...and didn't see a sign. Then prepare to tell them that you are just HOLDING the camera for a friend. thumb.gif

Like the 2nd from last one. I think a closer crop of the 1st image would have been more interesting. A nice big close up of that "no" sign...with bird droppings on it. rolleyes1.gif

Glad you made it out alive. clap.gif

Cheers

BMP
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2005
    Thanks, Birdman. I didn't go past the gate, I think the shrimp salesman, his wife, I saw her in a nice big house across the street. With their dog. As usual I was trespassing, but I did not go past the gate, that is the lens and a bit of cropping.

Thanks for stopping and commenting.

I have plans to shoot those birds when my "new" lens gets here, didn't want to mess it up today, can't make these people mad.

ginger (I will check to see if I have a close up of the sign, I have lots: wasn't staying long and used a whole 2 gb card to get these.) I did stay over an hour, if not two.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    Hi Ginger
    Like the 1st has a kinda soft (not OOF) just a pleasing tone
    and the 3rd colors seem well saturated and the sky being crop keeps it from being distracting to me :D
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2005
    Thanks, Ben. The ones you like best are my favorites also. I have one where the background is out of focus, with the sign and fence in focus, I think I would like that one a lot, too. This one had the most color, haha, in the sky.

The third one, I think it had that light break through that I was "shooting for". Coming into the picture from the left.

Thanks for stopping and commenting,

ginger
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    The second shots is excellent and the 4th is very strong also. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    The first egrets and the building shot is beautiful. The warming filter really makes it work. Very nice Ginger.thumb.gif