Aperture 3 Issues

NoelimagesNoelimages Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited July 10, 2010 in Finishing School
I have recently started to have issues with Aperture. I have been using Aperture since it was first introduced and with each release (1 and 2) it keeps getting better. A3 with it's brushes and plug-in has reduced my need for Photoshop. However, I'm starting experience more and more time outs (twirling beach ball) which result in hard reboots.

I have a brand new 15' I7 Macbook Pro purchased in May 2010 with 500g and 4g ram. There is a six page discussion about these issues on Apple's support site and I've personally submitted several tickets to Apple. I'm hoping that Apple fixes these problems soon or I maybe swithing to Lightroom.

Anyone having similar issues?

Comments

• ssklarssklar Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    Noelimages wrote: »
    I have recently started to have issues with Aperture. I have been using Aperture since it was first introduced and with each release (1 and 2) it keeps getting better. A3 with it's brushes and plug-in has reduced my need for Photoshop. However, I'm starting experience more and more time outs (twirling beach ball) which result in hard reboots.

I have a brand new 15' I7 Macbook Pro purchased in May 2010 with 500g and 4g ram. There is a six page discussion about these issues on Apple's support site and I've personally submitted several tickets to Apple. I'm hoping that Apple fixes these problems soon or I maybe swithing to Lightroom.

Yes, I have the same exact issues. Generally, when editing a shoot of between 400-500 images (Nikon RAW), I usually have to force quite Aperture 3-4 times. I've got the newest MacBookPro 17inch, with 8 GB RAM. I've come to accept this as being the cost of using Aperture, at least until Apple figures out what the bug is.

As a user of Aperture since version 1, I've got tens of thousands of images stored in several libraries, tagged and edited, so I'm pretty much hostage to the willingness of Apple to improve the program. The cost of moving to something else would be just too much.

-- Sandy
  • marchymanmarchyman Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    Noelimages wrote: »

Rarely. I'm using an '08 iMac with 4 gig ram.

I used to have the issue but discovered that in my case it was related to a dozen or so issues that I'd heavily edited in Aperture 2. Quite annoying as one of the images that was guaranteed to crash A3 was a test image... not one I cared to keep. Once I got rid of it things got much better.

Also... I run with faces OFF. I tried it, and it turned out to be nothing that I cared for as I'd already keyworded with names the images with people that I cared about.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    iMac 24" 2009 4gb Ram

I love A3. I rarely have to process more than a few hundred photos. I make sure that they are fully processed before I start editing, and with major edits I let it process before I do more. Sometimes I will quit and restart A3 to prevent problems. I rarely get the beach ball anymore.
  • carmel6942carmel6942 Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2010
    I have had no problems with Aperture 3 with the exact setup as dlplumer and I am very thankful for that. reading one apple forum there is some suggestions that seemed to work for them.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2359859&tstart=0

The following is the main suggestion.

Are you running the latest aperture 3 updates and prokit updates? If not, run software update, if you are - go to the finder and move everything to the trash that is inside these folders:

Hard Drive/Library/Caches
    Hard Drive/System/Library/Caches
    Hard Drive/Users/(Your user)/Library/Caches

Also delete this file:
    Hard Drive/Users/(Your user)/Preferences/com.apple.aperture.plist

Other suggestions I have read elsewhere are:
    Under the general preferences you unselect faces so that it does not try to identify the faces upon first uploading.
    Under the previews preference tab unselect new projects generate previews. Previews allow you view files when the master file is offline and allow easy use of your photo's in other applications. Not needed for the first session because you have the masters online.

You can generate previews anytime by going under the photo menu and selecting generate previews.

A great website for Aperture is http://aperture.maccreate.com/ They have a lot of information available.

Hope this helps
    Carl