Practice with my boy...

GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited August 16, 2010 in People
Ok, working hard to get better at portraits. Was practicing this afternoon with my older son (Luke). Had a 580EX II through a softbox and a gold reflector. Not sure if I like the gold reflector or not (too close to the background) but more interested in what you feel about the lighting on these.

Thanks.

1:
929136689_rMtwV-L.jpg

2:
929137207_Qd4ri-L.jpg

3:
929137444_DGHTK-L.jpg

4:
929136097_HZ2TQ-L.jpg

5:
929136983_2RpxB-L.jpg

6:
929135848_6EM4h-L.jpg

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2010
    he has some great expressions.

The lighting over all is good though imo the images are underexposed just a touch and varies from shot to shot. I don't really care for the background as it matches the skin tone too much. Can I ask how large the umbrella and how far away it was?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2010
    What a cute set, your boy is adorable!!! iloveyou.gif

I like what you did. Only nippedy-nip from me would be that HIS left side is way too dark / I'd even the light out a bit more thumb.gif
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2010
    So I'll be the first to admit that I know very little about studio lighting but I think you need to raise your light some to get the classic loop lighting (http://www.portraitlighting.net/patternsb.htm) which you are close to here.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • SeatimeSeatime Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2010
    Nice shots. I especially like the first one. I think you should use a contrasting color for a background. In the first shot, I have to strain to see the outline of his face. The background just blends in with his complexion. Lighting looks nice to me. You sure have a handsome son.
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2010
    Thanks for the comments. I'm still learning so it's all appreciated.

I have a 20"ish softbox I was using as a diffuser. Obviously camera left at about 45 degrees with a gold reflector camera right just next to the subject. I took a shot sans reflector and didn't like it because that side of the face (my son's left side) was way too dark for my taste. This bumped it up a bit but I wasn't sure if it was bright enough. Obviously it wasn't. Have to move the flash closer to the camera I think. (?)

The background (unfortunately) couldn't be helped because it's the color of the wall. Just ordered a background setup. But I agree on the color not working very well. I wanted to practice lighting on the subject.

I'm finding portrait shooting to be my toughest task out of all types of photography I've been working on. I know I can get the lighting down with some more practice. My problem is posing. These shots didn't take much in the way of posing since it's really only headshots (more or less). I find myself struggling with posing more than anything.

Thanks for your comments! I'll keep working on it!
    edited July 10, 2010
    Ok, some more (spontaneous) practice. The wife and my other little guy wanted to play (still had it all set up from yesterday). I was also playing with a new wireless shutter release I just got from China (thanks for the tip Art Scott!) so the focus isn't always on what I wanted it on. I'm more concerned about lighting. I moved the softbox right next to the camera.

Also, disregard the background, obviously, the picture in the background wouldn't be there if I were doing a real shoot.

Thanks.

1:
    929746093_RmMwK-L.jpg

2:
    929746213_iGgfS-L.jpg

3:
    929746859_o7vFD-L.jpg

4:
    929746962_sBPtC-L.jpg

I really like the lighting better on these. The last shot would be great if it weren't for the picture in the background and the focus being soft on his left (right side as you're looking at it) eye.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.
  • ows4428ows4428 Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2010
    I really like those shots. The colors really pop and the eyes look fantastic. Good job.
    edited August 16, 2010
    ows4428 wrote: »
    I really like those shots. The colors really pop and the eyes look fantastic. Good job.

Thanks. Working hard to improve my meager skills... :)