making a rebel into a 10d??

ssersser Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited March 10, 2007 in Cameras
Has Anyone seen or tried this firmware hack? It's supposed to turn your digital rebel 300d into a 10d!!! This would be very good for me since I just purchased this camera... and supposed to receive it next week.

This is what the hack apparently does.
This is the address:
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/digital_rebel_firmware_hack.html

Among the functions the firmware hack makes available are:
  • Enables Custom functions menu
  • Enables Flash Exposure Compensation using SET button
  • Enables SET button function when shooting (to change image quality or shooting parameters)
  • Enables Shutter release w/o CF card
  • Flash sync speed in Av mode
  • Enables RAW+JPEG rec. Enables setting the quality of embedded JPEG
  • Enables Mirror Lock up
  • Enables the ability to select the autofocus mode: AI servo, Oneshot etc.
  • Enables setting ISO 3200
If anyone has tried this and it works without messing with your camera let me know?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    it works as reported deal.gif
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    As Andy said it works, however, someone on DPR has had problems (the only one I've heard of).
  • PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    It voids the manufacturer's warranty. I also have an extended warranty on my 300D. Those are the only reasons I have not tried it, but I do hear it works well.

Does anyone know if the firmware can be reverted back to a Canon version after the hacked firmaware is installed?
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    PeterGar wrote:
    It voids the manufacturer's warranty. I also have an extended warranty on my 300D. Those are the only reasons I have not tried it, but I do hear it works well.

Does anyone know if the firmware can be reverted back to a Canon version after the hacked firmaware is installed?
    Yes you can revert back to the orginal firmware.
    When I bought my 300d used it had a hack on it. I had the seller take it off so I could learn the orginal firmware before I tried something else.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2007
    Just saw a used Rebel on e-bay whch advertised having this hack. Did a search here on D-Grin and found this two year old thread. Wondering what the long term result of this hack was.

Please tell me it screwed up a camera so I won't be tempted to try it...

Will
    Regards

Will
    I've been using the firmware hack since the day it came out on my Rebel; not a single problem to this day (~10k frames since). The Rebel stock firmware is the 10D firmware, with several features disabled. The hack just reenables them.
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2007
    I don't know if this would work or not, but if you hacked the firmware you could probably revert back to the original if you have any problems with the camera that are unrelated. Then you could send it in for warranty repair. I don't know if they would have any way of telling if it had been previously hacked. This would only work of course if it was a problem that had nothing to do with the firmware. And it also would depend on how close to the edge of legal you wanted to ride.