From Last Weekend's Heritage Festival

Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
edited July 25, 2010 in People
Not sure if these would be considered more street photography or portrait. Not sure what exactly defines portrait photography, maybe someone has a simple definition or a difference between the two.

The Kent Heritage Festival had five stages at different places downtown with a variety of performers. Gypsy Soul Dance Company (belly dancers) were performing on one of the stages.

As I'm not all that practiced in portrait photography I'm really looking for input on what I did right and wrong with these shots.

928266955_T2Qmt-L.jpg

928265391_Q6oXV-L.jpg

928263789_nU36o-L.jpg

928271581_UpwR6-L.jpg

I don't want to ruffle any feathers but, I've heard enough about the watermarks and I'm not going to stop using them in my posts.
Scooba Steve

Shades of Hyperion photography
Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking

Comments

• Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2010
    nothing wrong with the shots but street photography in midday is tough with the sun and strong shadows, I find it helps to use a flash sometimes to eliminate shadows and improve the lighting
  • Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    thanks for the input
    Scooba Steve

Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2010
    I think that there's not enough context-- except for possibly the first one, you could say that they're shots of your cousin in your back yard and I'd believe you.

She is quite attractive, tho!
    edited July 25, 2010
    thanks for the input
    Scooba Steve

• CaspianCaspian Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2010
    I agree with the first two comments. For street/candid photos, it is helpful to have more context in the picture if you are trying to tell the story with one shot. When you have multiple shots to tell the story, you can vary the set up shots and the close up shots.

These don't work as portraits because you cannot control the variables like posing and lighting.
    edited July 25, 2010
    Thanks for the input
    Scooba Steve