Dof

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited July 10, 2010 in Holy Macro
Am I correct in thinking I'll get better DOF in macro shooting with my D300 than with my D700 due to the smaller sensor size?
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking I'll get better DOF in macro shooting with my D300 than with my D700 due to the smaller sensor size?

I believe so but not sure because i only own a crop sensor camera. You could just try it out of course mwink.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2010
    i dont believe
    DOF is all about aperture
    and thus about light
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2010
    In general, crop sensors have greater DOF. See

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/technical/digitaldof.html

I just read a piece by the landscape photographer Carl Heilmann who said that this is the reason that he still uses a crop sensor camera for some of his work.

However, DOF behaves oddly at macro distances, so maybe not as much of a difference in this case. I have only shot macro with a crop-sensor camera, so I have no experience. A few people on this forum have shot both.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2010
    I believe the following statements are true for a FF camera vs a crop frame camera. When viewing a print of the same size

.1 With the same lens and same subject distance and aperture a FF camera will give more DOF.
    .2 With the above constraints but using a longer focal length lens on the FF camera to give the same FOV as the crop camera, the crop camera will give more DOF.

.3 With macro the limit on DOF via aperture tends to be linked with diffraction softening of image. It happens that the same diffraction level is actually achieved at exactly the same DOF level for either camera type. In other words at the same print magnification you can shoot the FF camera around 1 stop smaller aperture (ie higher f number) to give the same level of diffraction as the crop camera which equalises any DOF differences.

Brian V.