Lower Lewis River Falls

squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
edited July 11, 2010 in Landscapes
decided since i'd never been there to visit Lower Lewis River Falls today. of course, when i arrived, the falls was in bright sunlight... figures. :mad: but i made the best of it, and managed a couple of decent shots. not as nice as they'd have been with more even light, but under the circumstances, i thought they came out rather well. what most people don't tell you when they show those shots taken from the edge of the river, is that there's only a very steep trail that ends op top of about a 6-foot high, moss-covered, wet rock that you have to climb/slide/fall down to get to the river, and then you're IN the river! a bit tricky to do with a camera and tripod! then, to get from there to where you can set up a tripod requires wading about 50 yards upstream... and that water is COLD! but the cold wasn't as bad as the slick, treacherous footing... but i made it safely, managed to avoid getting anything wet that shouldn't be, and even got a few shots from down there... ;) i think next time i go, i'll do it on a cloudy day, and wait till later in the year - the falls will look more "graceful" at low flow in about September.

IMG_9556croprdxsm.jpg

IMG_9586croprdxsm.jpg
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Comments

• scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2010
    All things considered, Rocky, it looks to me like you did pretty good despite the conditions. Both shots seem to handle the dynamic range well, even offering detail in the waterfall itself.

I noticed some spray in the second photo. I wonder if you went EARLIER during higher flow and sunny conditions if you'd capture a rainbow in the spray?

Anyways, well done!
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2010
    scole wrote: »
    All things considered, Rocky, it looks to me like you did pretty good despite the conditions. Both shots seem to handle the dynamic range well, even offering detail in the waterfall itself.

I noticed some spray in the second photo. I wonder if you went EARLIER during higher flow and sunny conditions if you'd capture a rainbow in the spray?

Anyways, well done!

Thanks, Steve... rainbows, you say?

IMG_9592rdxsm.jpg
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com