Can YOU straighten this Photo? I sure can't.

SimplyShaneSimplyShane Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
edited July 12, 2010 in Finishing School
Pretty much a self-explanatory title.

For some reason, no matter how much I rotate this shot, it will NOT come out straight. Period.
Can you fix it? Could you teach me --how-- if you are able?? I am very sorry that I have failed to do this on my own. I hate pestering you guys, but I always run into all kinds of problems... :-(

Full resolution download links (from Google Docs):

Original File in TIFF Format--
http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxoqleFoOip4NTE2M2YzM2QtZWU4Ny00YTU3LTg0ZmEtNjc3MTIwZmE4ZGQ0&sort=name&layout=list&num=50

My failed attempt to fix it, in TIFF Format--
http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0BxoqleFoOip4Y2Q0ZDFmMzItMWM0Zi00YTY4LWE2ZWEtODcwZTdkMjMwMGQ0&sort=name&layout=list&num=50
---My Photography Homepage---

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bengford

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2010
    I couldn't download it (crashed safari). But do you need to use the photoshop lens correction filter to adjust? Can you point to a smaller version that is easily accessible?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 11, 2010
    How about posting your link for this image on your flickr site?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • SimplyShaneSimplyShane Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    I couldn't download it (crashed safari). But do you need to use the photoshop lens correction filter to adjust? Can you point to a smaller version that is easily accessible?

Have any other browser? It works perfectly fine with Google Chrome and I.E.

edited July 11, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    How about posting your link for this image on your flickr site?

Can't post it on flickr. The image is far too big and I don't want to size it down, as I prefer individuals to work with my original file.

edited July 11, 2010
    Okay, pulled it down w/ IE, and used the lens correction distort filter and came up with this. Is this more in line with what you want?

931183101_GuaWQ-XL.jpg

I'll kill the link if you say so. The gallery is hidden so folks won't just see this image otherwise.

Edit:
    Like a complete doofus, I didn't write down what the parameters were, but approximately (I think) the first slider for remove distortion was about +8, the Vertical perspective was -15 (or -12) and the angle was 0.66. Basically I played with the two main ones until the walls down the side seemed vertical along with the back wall. THe 0.66 was calculated earlier using the ruler tool to draw a line across the balcony and then went to image->rotate->arbitrary and it tells you that the rotation is 0.66.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited July 11, 2010
    Thank you very much for trying. (I mean that.)

However, this doesn't look right to my eye. Seems a bit too "curved" at the edges and just..."off."

Maybe I could do what you have done but just pull back a bit??
    Okay, pulled it down w/ IE, and used the lens correction distort filter and came up with this. Is this more in line with what you want?

931183101_GuaWQ-XL.jpg

I'll kill the link if you say so. The gallery is hidden so folks won't just see this image otherwise.

Edit:
    Like a complete doofus, I didn't write down what the parameters were, but approximately (I think) the first slider for remove distortion was about +8, the Vertical perspective was -15 (or -12) and the angle was 0.66. Basically I played with the two main ones until the walls down the side seemed vertical along with the back wall. THe 0.66 was calculated earlier using the ruler tool to draw a line across the balcony and then went to image->rotate->arbitrary and it tells you that the rotation is 0.66.

edited July 11, 2010
    Uh, sir...

That's a far shot from straight. I do appreciate the effort, but that may even be more off than the original.
    Art Scott wrote: »
    931202423_UEebT-XL.jpg

How is this?
    Image= Image rotate - arbitrary - 2 degrees CCW and then crop

edited July 11, 2010
    I will say that this is very close though...

I might be able to live with it. I'm not sure yet... You did better than I, that's for sure. Still, as I said before, it does seem just slightly "off" to me... Can you see what I'm talking about? Or am I just being a bit too extreme with this?

Thank you very much for giving it a go. This shot has been giving me hours of headaches.

931183101_GuaWQ-XL.jpg

Edit:

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2010
    Sorry guess my head was a bit tilted.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2010
    I took a look at it. The challenge is that there is some distortion in the image itself. If I rotate the image -0.61 degrees to straighten then lines on the balcony in the middle of the image the vertical lines on the balcony at the far edges of the image will not be truly vertical. I am not an expert with the Photoshop Lens Correction filter but I agree that it will probably address this issue.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2010
    Photoshop Lens Correction should do it.
    If it's tilted, rotate it.
    If it's tilted unevenly, do the Horizontal or Vertical angle correction.
    If it's distorted, adjust the lens distortion.
    That really should do it.
    And run with the grid on the whole time so you can check both horizontal and vertical straightness all over the image.
    edited July 11, 2010
    I took a look at it. The challenge is that there is some distortion in the image itself. If I rotate the image -0.61 degrees to straighten then lines on the balcony in the middle of the image the vertical lines on the balcony at the far edges of the image will not be truly vertical. I am not an expert with the Photoshop Lens Correction filter but I agree that it will probably address this issue.

That is precisely why this is so hard to work with.

edited July 11, 2010
    colourbox wrote: »
    Photoshop Lens Correction should do it.
    If it's tilted, rotate it.
    If it's tilted unevenly, do the Horizontal or Vertical angle correction.
    If it's distorted, adjust the lens distortion.
    That really should do it.
    And run with the grid on the whole time so you can check both horizontal and vertical straightness all over the image.

I've tried this, but I will continue trying. How do I know which angle correction to use? (Horizontal or Vertical).

Just wing it and try both?

edited July 11, 2010
    You can get an angle from the ruler tool, but otherwise, it is a certain amount of winging it (at least it is for me).
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    edited July 12, 2010
    Nice, Sam. Looks like you did more vertical correction than I did.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    How do I know which angle correction to use? (Horizontal or Vertical).

If the lines are converging to the top or bottom, that's horizontal tilt, like a tabletop.
    If the lines are converging to the left or right, that's vertical rotation, like an open door.

Try changing Horizontal and Vertical with a non-distorted rectangle image and you'll quickly see what each is for.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010

931183101_GuaWQ-XL.jpg

Edit:

looks pretty good to me. there is no obvious distortion to my eyes and wall on the side looks vertical and balcony look horizontal. To the OP..this is not an architectual shot for a portfolio right?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com