Options

Length to Keep Files

ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
edited July 16, 2010 in Weddings
My husband and I were doing business planning late, late the other night (never a good thing) and he asked me how long I keep files for. Umm... forever?!? Given that I'm a relative newcomer to the field and, therefore, don't have more than 1.5TB worth of images stored, it hasn't been an issue. But I am coming up on the point that my 1.5TB drive is full. So, there in lies my question for those of you that have been at this much longer than me.
  1. How long do you keep your RAW files for?
  2. How long do you keep the edited JPGs? (I give my clients a disc of images. Let's not get in to that though.)
  3. If you hang on to them, how to you store them? External? At what point do you deem them old enough to move to the external?
Thanks for your feedback. My perspective is very different from my husband's so you guys are our go to gurus.
Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User

Comments

• Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    My husband and I were doing business planning late, late the other night (never a good thing) and he asked me how long I keep files for. Umm... forever?!? Given that I'm a relative newcomer to the field and, therefore, don't have more than 1.5TB worth of images stored, it hasn't been an issue. But I am coming up on the point that my 1.5TB drive is full. So, there in lies my question for those of you that have been at this much longer than me.
    1. How long do you keep your RAW files for?
    2. How long do you keep the edited JPGs? (I give my clients a disc of images. Let's not get in to that though.)
    3. If you hang on to them, how to you store them? External? At what point do you deem them old enough to move to the external?
    Thanks for your feedback. My perspective is very different from my husband's so you guys are our go to gurus.

1. Only as long as needed to make sure there's a back-up for a specific image. If being used on the website, the RAW file stays intact. When I get bored of THAT PARTICULAR IMAGE and only have one of equal value to replace it, then it gets the boot. I never keep RAW files of weddings per se. Once final delivery has been made and the bride and groom sign off on acceptance, they get 86'd.

2. Refer to the last sentence in #1. AS soon as I know everyone involved is happy, then I happily clean house.

3. I have 2(ea) 1TB externals (because I used to save everything) so storage is not as much an issue as I just can't stand wading through a bunch of stuff.

Anyway, may be non-conventional....but it's how I manage things. KISS.
    (Keep It Simple Stupid...when referring to MYSELF. :D )
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    2 copies of everything forever. 1TB drives are about $80 these days and that is just cheap. I don't care what body you are shooting, that is a lot of storage! Why not keep raw and completed jpgs for everything you shoot? What if a bride contacts you 3 years later and wants an album? I like to be able to go back to my raw files and reprocess an image as color or maybe do the crop different to follow the theme of the album. I have a disclaimer in my contract that says I don't guarantee that I keep anything after delivery but if copies are requested and they are available, they can purchase another copy of their files for a fee.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    mmmatt wrote: »
    2 copies of everything forever. 1TB drives are about $80 these days and that is just cheap. I don't care what body you are shooting, that is a lot of storage! Why not keep raw and completed jpgs for everything you shoot? What if a bride contacts you 3 years later and wants an album? I like to be able to go back to my raw files and reprocess an image as color or maybe do the crop different to follow the theme of the album. I have a disclaimer in my contract that says I don't guarantee that I keep anything after delivery but if copies are requested and they are available, they can purchase another copy of their files for a fee.

Matt
    Likewise. Backup'd into externals and DVD-Rs.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    Two years is what is promised in my contract. For weddings that were a pleasure, I keep the files longer... as above, space is cheap.

For one wedding that I'd rather erase from my own memory (a Bridezilla beyond all Bridezillas,) I actually did erase every file and smash the discs after two years, so if I ever hear from her again, there will be no files to work with.
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2010
    smurfy wrote: »
    Two years is what is promised in my contract. For weddings that were a pleasure, I keep the files longer... as above, space is cheap.

For one wedding that I'd rather erase from my own memory (a Bridezilla beyond all Bridezillas,) I actually did erase every file and smash the discs after two years, so if I ever hear from her again, there will be no files to work with.
    Be careful what/how you promise things in your contract. Make sure you have an out if you loose files unintentionally!!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    It's been almost 7 years and my wife and I never got around to telling our photographer which shots we wanted in our album (that we paid for as part of the package). I think around our 5th anniversary we actually narrowed down the shots we wanted, but never got in touch with him.

So you're all saying that we're probably out of luck by this point, eh? 11doh.gif
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    That's EXACTLY why I don't keep this stuff. Too much liability on my part. Once you get final delivery...and you're satisfied...I'm perfectly happy with spring cleaning. Like I said, I'll keep meaningful images around forever. However, the standard, deliverable data usually lasts no longer than a couple of months at best.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    It's been almost 7 years and my wife and I never got around to telling our photographer which shots we wanted in our album (that we paid for as part of the package). I think around our 5th anniversary we actually narrowed down the shots we wanted, but never got in touch with him.

So you're all saying that we're probably out of luck by this point, eh? 11doh.gif
    (RANT)
    What we're saying is that THIS is part of what has severely damaged the industry. This aspect of "digital delivery", where consumers get comforted by the *idea* that they have a copy of the image files, or the *idea* that their images will be online forever, ...and what this leads to is indecision, procrastination, and in the end, neglected or forgotten memories.

Which is why I take the initiative. People lead busy lives, so I take it upon myself to make products for them. You might think this is a terrible idea and you might stick with the "wait until they pick their favorites" method, but TRUST ME, you're shooting your business in the foot and inadvertently depriving clients of their memories. And the bottom line for me is this- every product that I've ever made for my clients without their input, they've loved. If it's a high-end album, then yeah I'll give them a deadline and say hey, your input is due by this date or I'll print the album the way it is. Some clients get off their butts and send me input, and that's great, and some clients don't and that's fine too. As I said, they're always happy in the end. Or even if they're slightly bummed about one small detail, it's still way better than if NEVER got around to getting their product, period.
    (/RANT)

ANYWAYS, after that little rant, here's a more direct reply to the subject at hand:

In theory, every photographer worth their salt should keep their "negatives" forever. Here's a quick breakdown of my workflow. I do also offer "workflow coaching" to local So Cal people who are really struggling with things, but in a nutshell:

* Sort orginals- keepers and rejects. The rejects get deleted after final product delivery, or sooner if they're complete junk from a smaller non-wedding job.

* The keepers are, in my contract, kept for 2 years after the wedding date.

* It is important to put a LEGAL cap on how long you promise you'll keep your images. I don't need to get elaborate with "what if" situations, anyone with a brain will know you've got to cover your butt from a legal standpoint.

* Theoretically however, as I said, you ought to keep a copy of your files "forever"... Personally I consume about 1 TB per year, as someone who shoots full-time, 12 megapixels, sometimes RAW sometimes JPG.

1 TB per year, with backup, is 2 TB per year plus online "cloud" hosting of JPG proof files. So really, I'm paying $80 per 1 TB drive, $99 per year for SmugMug, and don't forget storage will of course get cheaper and cheaper. But hey, if you want to just assume that megapixels will go higher and higher, maybe that number will balance out a little. Either way, I'm thinking $250 per year that you're in business. For any professional, that's no problem.

Good luck!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    Be careful what/how you promise things in your contract. Make sure you have an out if you loose files unintentionally!!

Agreed. I'm a backup freak...Digital Foci on site, cards backed up on location, discs burned before bed, my primary editing computer never goes on line, and I end up with four sets before any editing can even begin. Two computers, discs, cards, external drives, and on line backup. Read too many horror stories when making the switch from film to digital...

But that said, they always get real products from me, meaning prints or an album. I have begun to take the approach Matt Saville describes and do the album design without their input. It's in the contract too...if they do not give me their input, they will get the album I designed after a designated time.

They have three months to tell me favorites after their gallery goes up...No one ever meets that deadline, so I go ahead and design the album. So far, doing this for the last six or seven weddings, everyone has been happy with the initial design and only changed one or two photos, and these have been in a collage page of a large amount of reception photos.

And the albums are so much prettier than when they pick the pictures by themselves!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010

Matt

I agree with MMMatt.......but I do 3 Hdd's........just never know when someone will come to ya and say our house burned, do you have any copies of our wedding from 50yrs ago.......it happens.
    If it doen't go to the trash bin when I cull a shoot....then it is saved for eternity.....that is my eternity.......after I'm dead...........dead and gone...(there'll be one child born to carry on...)..then I have no real physical control but if my wishes are not followed then I reserve the right to HAUNT...........................

I still have film from over 30yrs ago.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2010
    (RANT)
    What we're saying is that THIS is part of what has severely damaged the industry. This aspect of "digital delivery", where consumers get comforted by the *idea* that they have a copy of the image files, or the *idea* that their images will be online forever, ...and what this leads to is indecision, procrastination, and in the end, neglected or forgotten memories

....rant remainder snipped...

In our case, we did not get a "digital delivery." The photog gave us a full set of 5x7 (maybe 4x6) proofs which were ours to do with as we chose, but we were supposed to choose a number of them to have him make into an album. We framed some of the proofs, and we have a couple of larger prints that hang on the wall as well as other prints that we ordered for ourselves and other family members, we just never got around to having the album made. So we do have "some" tangible memories of the wedding. To be honest, our guy didn't need any help from us, he's a heluva lot busier and more expensive now than he was back in 2003. My sister was married in 2008 and looked at using the same guy, but he was way out of her budget.

To be honest, I have no idea if our photographer shot digital or film at the time. I know he shoots digital now, but at the time he was just transitioning from PJ to weddings and so we got him at quite a bargain. He'd be quite out of our budget now, if we were just getting married now. But anyway, back then DSLRs weren't quite as omnipresent as they are now, so he may still have been shooting film. I wasn't that into it at the time and didn't pay much attention to his gear. I had other things on my mind. iloveyou.gifbarb
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2010
    smurfy wrote: »
    Agreed. I'm a backup freak...Digital Foci on site, cards backed up on location, discs burned before bed, my primary editing computer never goes on line, and I end up with four sets before any editing can even begin. Two computers, discs, cards, external drives, and on line backup. Read too many horror stories when making the switch from film to digital...
    For me, it just feels like a waste to burn a disc when I know I'm going to delete 60% of the photos within a few days. If I had to burn a DVD of every last shot I captured, I'd be at 250-500+ DVD's per year. I just don't have that kind of storage space. If you're really keen on getting backup copies of your data in a solid-state format, just buy a 32 GB or 64 GB CF card, load your latest 2-3 weddings onto that, and toss it in the mail or put it somewhere safe until those jobs are on the internet, then re-use the card for your next few jobs.

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2010
    For me, it just feels like a waste to burn a disc when I know I'm going to delete 60% of the photos within a few days. If I had to burn a DVD of every last shot I captured, I'd be at 250-500+ DVD's per year. I just don't have that kind of storage space. If you're really keen on getting backup copies of your data in a solid-state format, just buy a 32 GB or 64 GB CF card, load your latest 2-3 weddings onto that, and toss it in the mail or put it somewhere safe until those jobs are on the internet, then re-use the card for your next few jobs.

=Matt=
    I save everything meaning everything... test shots and accidental shots of the floor and you name it. Granted I won't use most of them, but I love going back to the original set to find a few that I didn't deliver to use in their album as backgrounds or whatnot. The reasons I cut files are usually mostly because of redundancy and it is easy for me to find the best and chuck the rest, but I may want to use one of those or a part of one of those down the road so I keep everything. Storage space is cheaper than the time it takes to think hmmm... will I ever want to use THAT one?

And... for those who like optical media, get a dual density burner. Well worth the dough.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    edited July 14, 2010
    I save everything meaning everything... test shots and accidental shots of the floor and you name it. Granted I won't use most of them, but I love going back to the original set to find a few that I didn't deliver to use in their album as backgrounds or whatnot. The reasons I cut files are usually mostly because of redundancy and it is easy for me to find the best and chuck the rest, but I may want to use one of those or a part of one of those down the road so I keep everything. Storage space is cheaper than the time it takes to think hmmm... will I ever want to use THAT one?

And... for those who like optical media, get a dual density burner. Well worth the dough.

Matt
    Well, that's why I keep the rejects until after the album etc. are delivered.

I just stopped burning DVD's of *everything*, because I felt it was a waste. A cloud is a more valuable, secure, space-saving storage method. I don't have enough storage space to pile up hundreds of DVD's each year, for the (hopefully) decade or three that I am in this business...

=Matt=
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    Heres a question. How do you word it in your contracts so that you're not liable if something happens that you couldn't control within the "2 years" you were supposed to keep them for?
    Jer
  • Options
    sethnysethny Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    interesting topic
    after a year or two I used to release the negatives for mainly two reasons: 1- after 6-7 months noone ever ordered prints,
    2- responsibility I wasn't paid for

now with digital I do the same thing but after a couple of months instead of 2 years.

to Matthew Saville: don't put anything in the contract unless they (specifically) ask

Also do NOT trust any DVD/CD , if you really want to save then use hard disks and keep'em in a separate location.

But again this is "work" we're not paid for. 1-2 years and give the negatives/files and get a receipt.

That said the album usually concludes the relationship (since no reprints are to be sold with digital anymore, the same goes for the reception shots that I don't even cover anymore -unless they ask of course-)

I'd like to repeat:
    do not write in the contract that the negatives/files will be released after a year or two! If something happens we could say goodbye to the revenue of that wedding plus damages. And with digital there are a lot of things that can go wrong.

about the format I can only tell what I do (but that's just me)
    I shoot raw and then I select the keepers and save resizing 3000x2000 300dpi jpegs and put everything in a sub-folder called "selected". That folder for me is the equivalent of the "negatives" , therefore I delete the raw files right after the album is printed and delivered
    after a couple of months I give the DVD with the folder with the recommendation (in writing) to duplicate it periodically. With that I'm done.

Of course I keep the jpegs in the external hard disks but I'm not responsible anymore.
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2010
    good question
    Heres a question. How do you word it in your contracts so that you're not liable if something happens that you couldn't control within the "2 years" you were supposed to keep them for?

simply put there are no words to be used.
    we are professionals and we supposed to know what we are doing. In Court any "word" you put in the contract about that will be most likely "ignored" .

just like a publisher illegally publishing our work and then in court trying to defend himself saying that he didn't know . Of course he knew, that's his job. and the Judge knows that, very well.

The moment you promise to release the negatives you automatically imply that you'll do that "professionally".

But if the contract will "concentrate" in the album only then the "negatives" will be something extra.

in other words the service will be about the album, only.
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    sethny wrote: »
    simply put there are no words to be used.
    we are professionals and we supposed to know what we are doing. In Court any "word" you put in the contract about that will be most likely "ignored" .

just like a publisher illegally publishing our work and then in court trying to defend himself saying that he didn't know . Of course he knew, that's his job. and the Judge knows that, very well.

The moment you promise to release the negatives you automatically imply that you'll do that "professionally".

But if the contract will "concentrate" in the album only then the "negatives" will be something extra.

in other words the service will be about the album, only.

I'm not saying to promise the releasing of the digital files to them after two years, I'm saying, if you say you'll hold onto them for 2 years in case they need anything else done, but you end up losing all backups and such.. what then?

Personally I'm kinda like you. I really only require them to get an album and I give them unedited jpegs to make reprints from for themselves. If they want me to edit them they have to have them printed through me (which is more expensive obviously). But, I dont count on them having prints made - hence the album requirement.

More about the actual topic of this thread: I plan to keep my edited jpegs/keepers forever. Space is cheap. And happy clients are always good business. Like Art said, if someone wants their wedding pictures 50 years down the road because their house burned down, I definitely want to be able to provide them with that if I can. Imagine the referrals I would get after that! I would also be like 69-70 years old.. not sure if I'll still be shooting weddings then haha.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2010

Here is how I word it.
    Although Photographer will make every effort to archive all final images from the event after delivery, this is in no way guaranteed. It is recommended that the client take all necessary steps to preserve images after they are received. If client has been given personal use copyright of image files and wants additional copies of archived files they may be purchased for $10 per disk within 1 year of the event if they are available. After 1 year, the fee will be $100 per disk if the image files are available.
    I figure if I am going to archive files indefinately, the people who take advantage of that will have to pay for it. and I never give anyone the RAW files, just the final edited jpgs, but I keep ALL RAW files, my xmp files from the ones I edited, and the final jpgs.

Matt
    <o:p></o:p>
    My Smugmug site

• Options
    edited July 14, 2010
    I'm not saying to promise the releasing of the digital files to them after two years, I'm saying, if you say you'll hold onto them for 2 years in case they need anything else done, but you end up losing all backups and such.. what then?

Personally I'm kinda like you. I really only require them to get an album and I give them unedited jpegs to make reprints from for themselves. If they want me to edit them they have to have them printed through me (which is more expensive obviously). But, I dont count on them having prints made - hence the album requirement.

More about the actual topic of this thread: I plan to keep my edited jpegs/keepers forever. Space is cheap. And happy clients are always good business. Like Art said, if someone wants their wedding pictures 50 years down the road because their house burned down, I definitely want to be able to provide them with that if I can. Imagine the referrals I would get after that! I would also be like 69-70 years old.. not sure if I'll still be shooting weddings then haha.

this "negatives" thing has always been some sort of "grey area" in our practice. One thing for sure : there is no money in the reprint service after a year with film and after a month with digital. Ask any photographer if they ever sold a print after the fact. But there are a lot of money involved in the storage business, if done properly. is it worth the effort? no.

In here I'm just trying say to don't put in writing that we'll keep the negatives available: it's risky, very.

legally there are two types of contracts :
    1. work for hire : the images are not ours to keep so the problem about the storage is solved
    2. Album and prints as the destination of the service: the "negatives" are ours to keep (or not) not being part of the deal.

let's keep it in that way.
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    • How long do you keep your RAW files for?

I keep the RAW's of delivered images forever. Though my contract says 1 year after delivery (just to give me an out from someone coming back to me 70 years down the road). RAW's of images I do not deliver get deleted once the couple is happy.

• How long do you keep the edited JPGs? (I give my clients a disc of images. Let's not get in to that though.)

Forever. Though, again, I only promise to have them for a year.

• If you hang on to them, how to you store them? External? At what point do you deem them old enough to move to the external?

I have externals with all my stuff on them. When the 'current' external drive filles up, I go through and move the oldest stuff on the drive (say, anything more than 1 year old) to an 'archive' external... External drives are big and cheap... if I'm busy enough that I'm filling 2TB external drives, I'm probably making enough money to spend another hundred dollars on drives. :)
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    sethny wrote: »
    One thing for sure : there is no money in the reprint service after a year with film and after a month with digital. Ask any photographer if they ever sold a print after the fact.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

I deliver full-res JPGs that are processed to look best on a computer screen. I also sell prints. People buy them, because they know the print I produce is going to be better than what they can.

People routinely buy their albums after their first anniversary... though most are about 6 months after the wedding.
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Now that I'm swinging a 15+ MP camera....storage issues have become...well an issue.

My normal workflow was thus for a job with my name on it.

Shoot RAW (various sizes)
    Download to 750GB My Book (shared across a network via USB2 > PC > Router)
    Burn archive DVD of untouched raw files
    When actively editing a job (I edit in a calibrated 17 inch laptop, yeah yeah...that is what clipping warning and histograms are for) I transfer the job to a 40GB partition of my internal hard drive)
    Edit in LR3 export .jpgs to smugmug AND 750GB HDD, when job is complete delete from partition, make DVDs for client)
    So although it is S-L-O-W I have cloud based (for editied .jpgs), archival optical and HDD storage of files.

MY NEW workflow model centers around a brand new LG http://www.lg.com/us/computer-products/network-storage/LG-network-attached-storage-N2R1DD2.jsp

2 x 1 TB NAS with DVD/RW (delivered soon)

so hopefully my new workflow will look like this,

Dowload to NAS via USB (maybe eSATA card reader eventually)
    Burn archival DVD from internal NAS
    share across network from NAS > router
    export to smugmug and NAS
    backup to 750GB my book via USB > router
    depending on how good the burning software is I may make DVDs directly from the NAS if it is poo I'll use Nero on one of my networked machines.

This will allow cloud (for edited .jpgs), HDD, HDD backup, and optical archival storage with a LOT less pushing files around.

I plan on running the NAS in Raid 1 and swapping out the 7200 RPM 3.5" disks when they get full, this allows further redundancy and security over the long term.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2010
    I wholeheartedly disagree.

I deliver full-res JPGs that are processed to look best on a computer screen. I also sell prints. People buy them, because they know the print I produce is going to be better than what they can.

People routinely buy their albums after their first anniversary... though most are about 6 months after the wedding.
    I agree with your disagreement. It's called a holiday print sale, and I routinely profit four figures. :-)

=Matt=