Quick Q on the 350d XT Rebel

SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
edited August 24, 2005 in Cameras
Just thought I would ask this Q on the XT Rebel as I am just about to swan off to Spain to laze about on a hot beach for 10 days and plan to have a look at buying a 350d whilst over there (lucky me). That is if they work out cheaper which they should due to duty/VAT free.

I have noticed there are different versions. In the states you have the XT Rebel, over here (UK) the 350d. Are there any differences between models for different countries, anything I should look out for when buying abroad?

And if anyone would like to confirm my choice of DSLR over the d50/d70 then please do so, as I am still not 100% sure which is the better buy.

many thanks.

Comments

• leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    The Rebel XT and the 350D are the same camera. As for the Nikon's....no one has ever been able to get a good photo with one of them. Stick to Canon.

lol!

I kid, I kid

Lee
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    I got the XT, but that doesn't mean I think it's necessarily better. It was better for my situation, though.

My take:
    D50/D70
    • Feels better in the hand than the XT/350D
    • Kit lens is said to be better than the Canon's
    • Works with Nikon lenses if you already have a bunch of those
    • Can't edit RAW out of the box; requires Nikon Capture (budget $100 more) or Photoshop CS2 or Elements 3
    • Nikon has been criticized for their stance on RAW encryption

XT/350D
    • Smaller, lighter than D50/D70
    • Some people like Canon lenses better
    • Somewhat better specs (megapixels, ISO range)
    • Small, angular hand grip not that comfortable

You'll never be sure which one was the better buy: Corollary: You can't go wrong with either one. Just pick one and have fun.
  • MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    colourbox wrote:
    You'll never be sure which one was the better buy: Corollary: You can't go wrong with either one. Just pick one and have fun.

I agree. They are good cameras, and you can get stunning results with any of them (just have a gander at what some of the folks around here can do). Pick the one that "feels" right to you and enjoy.

--Aaron

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/