A day at the beach

nikmolsonnikmolson Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited July 16, 2010 in People
so i went to the beach/park with a friend/novice model and we had fun and took some shots, outdoors is a nightmare to me and for some reason i just cant seem to ever get the lighting down so half of them i ended up going for more or of a studio feel than a natural outdoor photo, but here are a few i feel are alright, what do you guys think!

11hce2c.jpg

pnc03.jpg

b7nfau.jpg

264i4w2.jpg

xaxb7p.jpg

Comments

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2010
    Your lighting looks pretty good. Personally, I'd get the background a little darker (faster shutter speed usually) but that's just me. The post production work on her skin seems a little heavy to me too.

The poses seem a little stiff and your model needs to ditch the false eyelashes. Go for natural, clean makeup for outdoor shots and you'll improve your photos instantly (make sure your model knows this if she does her own makeup).

Some ideas to improve posing -- you have a bench. Get her to stretch out on it sideways. She can stand behind it and stretch her arms on the back or sit up on the back. Anything but sitting on it the way everyone sits on it. You know what I'm saying.

Overall, a nice job but try a couple of my tips next time and see if you don't have more of a dreamy shoot rather than a nightmare of a time shooting outdoors mwink.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• nikmolsonnikmolson Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2010
    great tips! thanks!
  • BrewsterBrewster Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2010
    I like the lighting, has a soft quality to it (not a bad thing).
    Watch your backgrounds, I like the park bench shots, but to my eye, the BG seems distracting. I know sometimes its tough outside with the background.
  • nikmolsonnikmolson Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    thanks, yeah the backgrounds were tough with people walking through and what not, though for how busy the BG was im pretty happy with the symmetry i got in #5
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    I really like #2. Overall your lighting is somewhat flat. It needs some direction to give some contrast and most of the poses are a little awkard and do not show her off to her potential. Shooting wide open would distort the bkg and give you more separation.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    For my taste, your model's body is generally too straight-on to the camera.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • lalaladidalalaladida Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 16, 2010
    i like no.3, very nice capture!