Photoshop CS5 vs CS5 Extended

jennieviijennievii Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
edited July 14, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
I can get the teacher discount on CS5 extended, but I want to make sure that it has everything that CS5 has. It seems like it does, but I want to double-check before buying it. Adobe's website makes it seem like CS5 is really all I need, so I just want to make sure that CS5 extended isn't too different. I want it mainly for photo editing. I have Elements right now and want something that can do more (especially since CS5 seems to have so many cool features!). Thanks!

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited July 13, 2010
    AFAIK, there's nothing in the basic edition that is missing in the extended. Extended offers 3D graphical tools and a few other specialized features that are not to be found in the basic edition, but for normal photography processing, the basic edition is fine. If you're coming from Elements, you will be amazed at how powerful it is, but be prepared to spend a good deal of time taming the beast. It will be time well spent. thumb.gif
  • jennieviijennievii Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    AFAIK, there's nothing in the basic edition that is missing in the extended. Extended offers 3D graphical tools and a few other specialized features that are not to be found in the basic edition, but for normal photography processing, the basic edition is fine. If you're coming from Elements, you will be amazed at how powerful it is, but be prepared to spend a good deal of time taming the beast. It will be time well spent. thumb.gif

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it! :ivar
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    I don't have either but have read of warnings of getting trapped in an expensive upgrade path down the road. Once you buy more than the basic offering you HAVE TO CONTINUE. So even if you decide down the road that you only need say CS7 but you have bought a larger package (not sure just what they call all the combinations that have additional things included) you CANNOT get the upgrade price for JUST CS#.

I suggest a search here as there have been several threads about it.
  • jennieviijennievii Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    As long as I'm a teacher, though, wouldn't I be able to get the upgrade at a discount (of course - as long as they continue to offer the discount)?
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    jennievii wrote: »
    As long as I'm a teacher, though, wouldn't I be able to get the upgrade at a discount (of course - as long as they continue to offer the discount)?

Yes......but as stated above if you get extended then you must upgrade the whole extended package not just CS5.....so at upgrade time you would not buy CS5upgrade...but rahter CS5extended upgrade.

Not sure what the discount is now but I found that Academic superstore was actually cheaper than getting discount thru adobe......that was 5-7 yrs ago......things change........

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited July 14, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Yes......but as stated above if you get extended then you must upgrade the whole extended package not just CS5.....so at upgrade time you would not buy CS5upgrade...but rahter CS5extended upgrade.

That's not what the Adobe Store Web page says. The upgrade to CS5 standard edition costs the same ($199) from CS2, CS3, CS4, CS3 extended and CS4 extended. Likewise the upgrade to CS5 extended costs the same ($349) even if you are upgrading from the standard edition. Now there may be special rules that apply to educational editions, and there may be other rules that apply to the suites that include more than Photoshop (there are many other Adobe products)--I don't know anything about those, and it's probably a good idea to contact Adobe for the most accurate information. What does seem clear though is that you can buy CS extended and later upgrade to a newer version of CS standard without paying a premium.
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    Jane B. wrote: »
    I don't have either but have read of warnings of getting trapped in an expensive upgrade path down the road. Once you buy more than the basic offering you HAVE TO CONTINUE. So even if you decide down the road that you only need say CS7 but you have bought a larger package (not sure just what they call all the combinations that have additional things included) you CANNOT get the upgrade price for JUST CS#.

I suggest a search here as there have been several threads about it.

I lived on CS2 for a long time and only upgraded to CS5 for the 64-bit and ability to utilize the graphics card. Zooming in and out is nice and smooth now and can be done to any level, thank you Quadro clap.gif