Viola in the stars

rhermansrhermans Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
edited July 15, 2010 in Holy Macro
A while back I was trying to get some close ups from a viola in the garden, using 3 off camera flashes, and I don't know how close I was, guess a bit closer than 1:1.

The surprise whas the milky way that appeared when looking at the shots on my pc.

It's partly pollen, and they where cutting a lot of stones close by with a lot of fine dust.

877765123_56pZJ-L.jpg

It's a focus stack of 3 shots

Kiron 105mm + Tamron tc1.4 – f/11.0- 1/125sec -Iso 140
best regards

Ronny

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    Cool shot.....You say you don't knopw how close you were. but.......do know the lens used?
    Extension tubes used or what else beside the lens was used.......that would give a lot of folks
    an idea of the actual magnification and distance.....

thanx for sharing.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    Ronny,

Last winter I did some indoor stacked shots of African violets and saw the same thing I think you are suggesting:
    The surprise whas the milky way that appeared when looking at the shots on my pc.
    I assume you mean the white spots. What I found is that stacking with the PMax method in Zerene created this effect with certain flowers. I think what it is doing is exaggerating variations in luminance, but I am not sure. After experimenting, I found that I could greatly reduce this by using the DMap method and setting the radius sliders (both of them) to a double the default value. I asked the software's author, and he said that I had stumbled on what he recommends for images without a great deal of detail.

Dan
  • rhermansrhermans Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    paddler4 wrote: »
    Ronny,

Last winter I did some indoor stacked shots of African violets and saw the same thing I think you are suggesting:

I assume you mean the white spots. What I found is that stacking with the PMax method in Zerene created this effect with certain flowers. I think what it is doing is exaggerating variations in luminance, but I am not sure. After experimenting, I found that I could greatly reduce this by using the DMap method and setting the radius sliders (both of them) to a double the default value. I asked the software's author, and he said that I had stumbled on what he recommends for images without a great deal of detail.

Dan

The originals had the same white spots, some of them when zoomed in look like pollen, the others are just to small to say what they where.

I stacked this shot in photoshop cs4 where I haven't seen the effect you describe here.

Thanks for helping

Ronny
    best regards

Ronny
    edited July 14, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Cool shot.....You say you don't knopw how close you were. but.......do know the lens used?
    Extension tubes used or what else beside the lens was used.......that would give a lot of folks
    an idea of the actual magnification and distance.....

thanx for sharing.

Been checking if I wrote it down somewhere, and was lucky
    Kiron 105mm + Tamron tc1.4 – f/11.0- 1/125sec -Iso 140
    so that would give a 1.4:1 magnicification.

Thanks Scott
    best regards

Ronny
  • BeardedChickBeardedChick Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2010
    Cool shot, Ronny. Beautiful colors and textures.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    Good one - looks like you found a new nebula :)
    Brian V.
    edited July 15, 2010
    Cool shot, Ronny. Beautiful colors and textures.

Thanks
    best regards

Ronny