Contracts & Model Releases

SweetScenePhotoSweetScenePhoto Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
edited July 15, 2010 in Mind Your Own Business
I really would appreciated from feedback as to what you do in your professional business practices.

I mostly shoot family/child portraits and sports (action and portraits). I do NOT (nor do I plan to) sell those photos to a 3rd party (magazine, child portrait contest, etc.). I only use my approved prints for my website and for printed portfolio (flipbook and for table displays). I have had one of my photos used by the local newspaper, but it was not paid for (they were free) and it was a large group of children during a marathon race.

I use a contract that I have seen on these forums - thank you - that has some sort of release for me to use my photos for portfolio, etc (see below). And have been reading this link (provided in the forum thread *Sticky*) - http://www.danheller.com/model-release-primer

From my business contract with client -

5.The Photographer retains copyright in the photographs, and hereby grants the Client unlimited but non-exclusive personal use only rights to use or reproduce the photographs for which the Client pays. Photographer (and company) has owner rights to use any photos by means of website and print portfolio, marketing, and advertising. Client may NOT use photographs for any commercial use without prior written permission from the photographer and company.

WIth all that being said - do you think I should have a separate Model (and Minor Model) Release form signed by all the families (the article in the link above says NO). I don't have a lawyer (nor can I afford one to have this looked at).
Thank you very much!
Jasa Wolfrey
www.sweetscenephotography.com
Gear: Canon 7D & Rebel XSi
Lenses: 18-55mm, EF 50mm F/1.8 II, 75-200mm, 28-135mm, 75-300mm
Extras: Sigma EF-530 DG Super Flash, Gary Fong (white)
Paint Shop Pro 6, Adobe Photoshop Elements 8, Adobe Lightroom 2

Comments