edited July 18, 2010 in Landscapes
2010_Yellowstone0018_s.jpg
Canon 30D, Tamron 18-270 -- 18mm, 200ISO, 1/1250 sec, F 6.3

Large version

C&C would be appreciated

Comments

• YosemYosem Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    very nice image definitely better then anything I've come away with from Mammoth, great work.
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Yellowstone.

So I am always excited to see pictures from there.

The colors in the sky are great, and I love the reflections in the pools. I would see if you can bump up the colors of the terraces. The oranges are far more vibrant in person and the image currently doesnt match the nice colors in the sky.

I would also prob crop out some of the left side of the photo, with the dead trees and stuff. But keep the brillaintly green absorokas in the background.

Shot in the spring, I am guessing, because that is pretty darn green for Mammoth.

LOVE LOVE LOVE YELLOWSTONE. I cant wait to go back there to work someday (as soon as this pesky student loan is gone, you will find me back there giving tours again!)
  • DatadaddyDatadaddy Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    winger wrote: »
    LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Yellowstone.

So I am always excited to see pictures from there.

The colors in the sky are great, and I love the reflections in the pools. I would see if you can bump up the colors of the terraces. The oranges are far more vibrant in person and the image currently doesnt match the nice colors in the sky.

I would also prob crop out some of the left side of the photo, with the dead trees and stuff. But keep the brillaintly green absorokas in the background.

Shot in the spring, I am guessing, because that is pretty darn green for Mammoth.

LOVE LOVE LOVE YELLOWSTONE. I cant wait to go back there to work someday (as soon as this pesky student loan is gone, you will find me back there giving tours again!)

Thanks for the feedback. This is basically edited in the raw editor... exposure adjustments, sharpness, and a bump in saturation... Your suggestion to bump up the terraces is a good one. I need to learn the mid-tone adjustments in PS so guess now's the time.

thanks for pointing out the crop of the left.. deal.gif

This was actually shot last week of June. They got a ton of rain in May/June. Yellowstone River was running high despite the lack of snow pack.
    edited July 17, 2010
    2nd Try on this...
    2010_Yellowstone0018_v2_s.jpg

Better or worse...

Too far?
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2010
    1st one looks way more natural to me.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
    edited July 17, 2010
    Version Three
    2010_Yellowstone0018_v3_s.jpg

So I am chasing this thing around... this may need to be moved to somewhere else, but I really appreciate your feedback deal.gif

I printed version 2 and it was much darker than on my screen (uncalibrated -- n00b = me)

I cheated on the printer with a Gamma adjustment of 1.5 and things got a bit more natural. the details in the shadows lightened up and it didn't look so HDR...

So, I applied a similar adjustment here gamma 1.25... and this is moving more toward the more natural look, I think.

Now off to read about gamma and what I have done deal.gif
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    After looking at all three, I actually like #1 the best. #3 actually reminds me of one of my antique Yellowstone postcards. I am hopeless addicted to Yellowstone (it's an addiction with no known cure, you just have to keep going back to help alleviate the symtoms mwink.gif).

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir