My Bee Photo

HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
edited July 19, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
Hi all,

I'm pretty new around here, but I figured the only way I'm going to get better at photography is open myself up to some honest criticism from a good community. Below is my Bee photo.

For really an accidental picture, I thought it came out good. I was playing around with the 85mm f/1.2 on a sunny day. This is from about 3 feet away, and cropped tightly. Let me know what you think? Composition? This was when I first learned of the rule of thirds.

864214306_7cKd4-M-1.jpg

Next, from a photo competition I had with a friend of mine. The Drain Pipe. Strange this about this one is that some people I've shown it to really like it, other don't seem to at all.

600040965_AjRxW-M-4.jpg

The last one I'll show is simply from my back yard. The purpose of this shot was really for me to try to train my eye to look at contrast. Looking at how the light hits something. I like it, yet I'm of course bias.

600037653_yavru-M-4.jpg

Anyway, thanks for looking. I'd love any feedback, good or bad! Anything to make me better!
Camera: Nikon D4
Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800

Comments

• R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    Hi, I like #1, I'm with the latter on #2, but I really like #3. The composition and lighting is very good. :D

Cheers, Richard.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    I like #1 with the selective color; the bee stands out and great capture! BUT - I think that last one is great! the shadows, the detail and subject is neat!
  • HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    Thanks for the comments. Here are a couple of more from my dark flora tests.

600036373_UHutP-M-4.jpg

600038834_9sFk2-M-4.jpg
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    #1 is my favorite thumb.gif
    edited July 19, 2010
    Any other C&C? I'd really like somebody to point out some flaws. I know they are there.

Do you think the post processing adds anything to the images?

What about focus? I'm trying to recognize when an image is "soft", so calling me out on it would be helpful.

Even if its just personal preference, what do you like or dislike about them in particular?

Thanks again!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited July 19, 2010
    My favorite of these is #3. Sorry, but I'm not a fan of selective color. It's probably a decent shot and I'd like to see the original.
    edited July 19, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    My favorite of these is #3. Sorry, but I'm not a fan of selective color. It's probably a decent shot and I'd like to see the original.

Thanks for that feedback. Do you think selective color just screams "post processing"? I could see that. Even crazy dark black and white types of shots almost seem more natural to me.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited July 19, 2010
    It has become a cliché. It's something that everyone has to try as soon as they get Photoshop. At least in this one, you used color on the main focus of interest, but one sees many in which it is applied to some small detail (often a flower) that really has little to do with the image. I think the the problem is that there are so many bad uses out there that many photographers instinctively react against the technique. So even if you have very good reasons for using it, you will find that some people are put off. Since you had very nice bokeh in the background, I would think that the bee would stand out quite nicely without SC. Or did you have something else specific in mind?