And there was light

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited July 18, 2010 in Landscapes
Valley after valley sun blesses world with light But the tallest ones are first..

A local guy told me the name of that largest peak on left is "Gangi" which means Baldy :wink

935992812_FzrES-XL.jpg

Played with WB and Tint in light room, truth about sun flare, it is just a photoshop brush i still don't know how some of the landscape photographers get this type of flare straight out of camera:scratch

full gallery
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    friggin awseome dude
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    friggin awseome dude

Thanks Qarik, i am bit unhappy about foreground noise but i think considering it was only 1 shot with no filter it is just Okay, what do you say?
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    Thanks Qarik, i am bit unhappy about foreground noise but i think considering it was only 1 shot with no filter it is just Okay, what do you say?

Um...I think it is more than ok - its absolutely wonderful!!! I see the layers and the color is beautiful! clap.gif
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2010
    Valley after valley sun blesses world with light But the tallest ones are first..

A local guy told me the name of that largest peak on left is "Gangi" which means Baldy mwink.gif

Awesome light and composition! I think you can create the sun star by stopping way down (F16 or so). I've found, though, that it doesn't always work for me. ne_nau.gif
  • nickeverettnickeverett Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    ....truth about sun flare, it is just a photoshop brush i still don't know how some of the landscape photographers get this type of flare straight out of cameraheadscratch.gif

If you close your iris right down on some lenses (f/22), lights will produce star shaped flares. Example below:

4322305087_be96d8eaa6_o.jpg
  • ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010

Personally, I like the slight noisiness in the f/g. I think it adds to the overall artistic feeling of mysterious serenity in the image. Enhanced or not, I love the image. TFS
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • RuiMLopesRuiMLopes Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Beautiful image, Awais!
    The way you managed to capture the light is just perfect!
    Rui
    D300, D200 coupled with some fine Nikon glass

My Smugmug galleries: http://ruilopes.smugmug.com/
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    thumb.gifGorgeous Photograph Awais, IMO I dont mind the photoshop star but it seems to need brightening a bunch.

Also F22 is a great way to get them SOOC.... and practice a few sunsets before going out on location to get the feel for doing them...and how to do them without going blind might I addeek7.gif

To show different lens stars, here are a few of my favorite sun stars I've done, btw, (all single exposures).

Canon 16-35 @ f22: (sadly I sold this lens to help pay for a new DSLR and have regreted it so very much since)
    http://www.riparianphotography.com/Photography/Zion-National-Park/10087131_ggDh9#694480757_i86A7

Canon 24 T/S @ f22:
    http://www.riparianphotography.com/Photography/Bryce-Canyon/10371104_wifEU#494366132_6sJga

Canon 17-40mm @ f22:
    http://www.riparianphotography.com/Photography/Toroweap-Grand-Canyon-Arizona/10302361_xdppU#837899156_MRRiy

Canon 24-70mm @ f22:
    http://www.riparianphotography.com/Photography/Photography/7901687_hvXzb#914672999_4vZXa

I hope this post helps a little in your quest in sunstarsthumb.gif
    now go get'emthumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    This is perfect as-is Awais! You're so modest. :D

And I didn't even realize the flare wasn't caught in-camera until my second pass through the comments. But now you'll catch it next time you're faced with a gorgeous sunset. thumb.gif
    edited July 16, 2010
    Thanks everyone!
    Thanks Nick and Aaron for examples, i think TS and 16-35 star is what i was looking for. I tried star with 17-40L but don't find it much attractive as TS

My Gallery
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Ya the 17-40L really makes a wide ended sunstar, If your looking for sharp ends Primes are likely the way to go....
    except why the 16-35L zoom lens has such nice sharp ends I do not knowne_nau.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2010
    Awais, I think it is a beautiful image. Not too noisy to me, and the colors are exquisite.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2010
    Ya the 17-40L really makes a wide ended sunstar, If your looking for sharp ends Primes are likely the way to go....
    except why the 16-35L zoom lens has such nice sharp ends I do not knowne_nau.gif

Outstanding shot! I love the subtle layers in the foreground.

The 16-35 has an odd number (7) of aperture blades, which effectively doubles the points on the star (14). A lens with an even number of blades will only have that number of points on the star (for example, my 24-105 has 8 aperture blades and will have an 8-point star, each point will be "double" strength though, which is why the stars are thicker on even aperture blade lenses). Whenever I want a diffraction star, I'll prefer my 16-35 for that reason.
  • Alpha_PlusAlpha_Plus Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2010
    Lovely shot Awais.

I'll just add to the star effect thoughts.. I find that they work best with a small aperture f/20+ and when the sun is just peaking out from behind a mountain as you've got it, or between branches of a tree such as in the shot below. IMO I find it works better in fading light. It's not so great in the middle of the day.

The photoshop brush doesn't look too bad :) but good luck with getting some real ones..

shingles_sunset_1.png
    Karl Lindsay
    Nikon D600
    Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
    Induro CT-014 Tripod
    karllindsayphotography.com | Photos on Facebook | 500px
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    I like it as is; gorgeous shot, Awais. I, too, didn't realize the star had been added until I started reading the comments.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir
  • AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    friggin awseome dude
    15524779-Ti.gifbow
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
    edited July 18, 2010
    Thanks guys, will try experimenting with on my next venture ot Fairy Meadows.

My Gallery
  • Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2010
    beautiful! Great capture!