Options

any advice appreciated Canon products

mgobluemgoblue Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited June 26, 2004 in Cameras
Im lost. Maybe someone can help and if so, thank you.

I recently purchased what i thought was a standard "doubler" as referred to with 35mm etc. It was a Canon Extender EF2X II

The problem, im trying to use it with a digital rebel.

The extender fits in to the Rebel just fine, however, both of the lenses i have do not match up with the extender. EF 75-300 and wide angle 15-60 i believe or near those specs. I can provide more info if needed on the lenses.

I was under the impression that any EF lense would work with the Rebel. It appears though I may of made a mistake in purchases this extender without having the proper lense to go with it. Also, im not sure if it really matters but the extender is white, and the lenses are black, and i figured it would not look right but as long as it works, who cares. Apparently the color matches with the proper lense?

Any help on this stuff or advice would be appreciated. Do i need to purchase one of those 1,000 dollar white canon lenses now? As you can see im very new to digital and canon. Its been all 35mm and NikonN70 until now. These regular lenses mixing with digital cameras, im downright lost.

Comments

• Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2004
    Got this from the Canon web site:

This tele extender can be used with fixed focal length lenses 135mm and longer (except the 135mm f/2.8 Softfocus lens), and the EF 70-200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 70-200 f/4.0L, and 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS zoom lenses.

So yes, they need a particular lens.

Regards,
    BRad
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2004
    Unfortunately, the same is also true of the 1.4 extender. :cry Sorry man, time to return it or buy some new glass.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2004
    hehe
    wxwax wrote:
    Unfortunately, the same is also true of the 1.4 extender. :cry Sorry man, time to return it or buy some new glass.

ok, thanks a lot. appreciate both of you taking the time to reply

how can you guys keep up with the expenses of this stuff? my goodness, haha. im going to have to save up again, and go after the Canon EF70-200MM F/4 USM because that is the lowest one i can find :)

i was simply looking for a cheaper way to get more out of the 300mm i had, and thought this was the easy way out :(
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2004
    Before I went the dSLR route, I thought long and hard about how much money I was going to spend. I knew the camera body was just the beginning. Those lenses are insanely expensive. But they seem to hold their value reasonably well, and will far outlast the body I'm using now. Seems like every hobby I've ever pursued turns into a money pit!

I've had very good luck buying used lenses. If you have the stomach for it, here are the sites I visit:

Fred Miranda. Free to sign up, just like here.

Photo.net. Same deal - free to join.

Rob Galbraith. Ditto.

There's a lot of competition for good lenses, so you have to be a bit of a hawk. The good thing about Fred Miranda is that it tends to be very self-policing. The other two don't permit discussion in the classified forums, so they're a wee bit riskier. Out of all the purchases I've made (6 or 8 by now,) one lens had more painted rubbed off than I was expecting, and one offer I made on a bag was dumped after I took longer than 90 minutes to respond to the seller. As I said, highly competitive! Otherwise, I've been delighted with the quality of the goods.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2004
    Here's a 70-200 f4 L on Fred Miranda. Dude wants $470.
    Sid.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2004
    If you want something a little faster, I've heard great things about the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. I've been wanting one for awhile now(Nikon mount), but I need to take another work trip to hide it in my expense & travel money. Life was so much easier when I could spend my own money....

Dave
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2004
    ah fantastic. thanks a lot man, awesome.

i needed exactly that, lately the search engines have been overwhelmed with junk. now ill save a ton of time

im glad i am not the only one that thinks the price is high on these lenses.

i was under the impression that all of you were thinking "this guy is cheap if he wont buy a 1200 lense" with all the experts in the forum :)

thanks again, will check it all out over the next few days and try to learn as much as i can
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2004
    mgoblue wrote:
    ah fantastic. thanks a lot man, awesome.

i needed exactly that, lately the search engines have been overwhelmed with junk. now ill save a ton of time

im glad i am not the only one that thinks the price is high on these lenses.

i was under the impression that all of you were thinking "this guy is cheap if he wont buy a 1200 lense" with all the experts in the forum :)

thanks again, will check it all out over the next few days and try to learn as much as i can

wxwax gave a great link to Fred Miranda's site. I use the reviews all the time to help decide before I buy. There is a lot to be said for finding a great used lens at an even price on a Buy & Sell board. I'm not sure where your from, but if you live in the San Francisco Bay area, craigslist.org is another great resource.

There is a lot of lenses out there, and I'm just starting to figure out what it all means. I just got a D70 at the end of April and I'm in the process of adding some good glass to my setup.

Dave
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2004
    mgoblue wrote:
    i was simply looking for a cheaper way to get more out of the 300mm i had, and thought this was the easy way out :(

Don't forget, you lose 2 stops with the 2x extender and 1 stop with the 1.4 TC. So if you're starting with f4, you have significantly narrowed your exposure possibilities.

Lynne
    who started with the 70-200 f4L (a gorgeous lens)
    and ended with the 70-200 f2.8L IS(but I shoot a lot)
  • Options
    surlysurly Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    lynnesite wrote:
    Don't forget, you lose 2 stops with the 2x extender and 1 stop with the 1.4 TC. So if you're starting with f4, you have significantly narrowed your exposure possibilities.

Lynne
    who started with the 70-200 f4L (a gorgeous lens)
    and ended with the 70-200 f2.8L IS(but I shoot a lot)
    that f4 is a very nice lens and a "bargain" for an L

with the 1.6 you "get for free" with the rebel and a 1.4 (which cost an f-stop" you should have all the zoom you want (448mm). but then I don't know what you like to shoot. personally if 300 (or 420mm on the drebel) aint enough move closer to your subject

when I got my first real camera I was hung up on the zoom and wanted to go looooong. now I like it wide but I like money in my pocket too!

if you have the bucks go ahead and buy some nice glass if you want but taking time to shoot will make you better. look at it this way....how much would it cost to take a day off work and shoot pics all day (or a week) compared to a new lens?

do you have a tripod?

extra battery?

larger or extra CF card?

arguably these things can be more important than adding a long lens and the 300 you have is pretty good

anyway shoot shoot shoot

read read read

photoshop photoshop photoshop

peace out