Ballet at the Marin Headlands

ShutterStaciShutterStaci Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited July 16, 2010 in People
Hey Guys! I'm a newb to the site. I wanted to share some photos I did of a dancer for her portfolio. I just bought my D5000 so unfortunately all of these were only done with a Nikon p80. Share your thoughts. C&C Welcome!

4794163424_7ecccddc21.jpg

4641833153_13fa0df8fe.jpg

4642357244_acf15e715b.jpg

4642356962_ebca277375.jpg

4641746577_b770392e74.jpg
Nikon D5000
Nikon P80
Nikkor 22-300 VR
Nikkor 18-55 VR

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Welcome to dgrin. Nice concept IMO. For future reference put numbers on the images, so it is easier to say, "I really like #3!" Bear in mind, no one pays me for my shots, so this is just how I see these:

1. Cool concept. I think if you cropped in just a bit (to lose the support pole that is at a wonky angle to the right) the sense of her holding up the structure would be stronger.
    2. Something isn't working for me. Like her pose/shape, though.
    3. You need to get the image square, I think. As it is, it is just enough off angle to feel tilted in an unintentional way.
    4. Like the idea. I think it would be have been much stronger if her hand were straight up and the other parallel to the cables, but as it is, her parallel to the bridge support is cool. Also, I think you need to get the main tower vertical.
    5. Doesn't do anything for me. The vignette seems really heavy as well. She seems a bit small in the image for her portfolio, perhaps.

Nice concepts, and cool images. My guess is that she will really like these shots
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • ShutterStaciShutterStaci Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Thanks for the insight! Composition is really where I need to focus and learn a little bit more so your ideas really help. I completely agree number 4 isn't really a portfolio shot but we were more just playing around at that point. :-) As for the second one, this is half the reason i bought a dslr, my p80 was the slowest to focus and take multiple shots at once so it was difficult to catch her before she moved into a new pose so I think I got too caught up in trying to actually get a shot and by that time I messed up the angles. I can't wait to take and apply some of this stuff with my new cam. :-)
    Nikon D5000
    Nikon P80
    Nikkor 22-300 VR
    Nikkor 18-55 VR