Tiffany and Zach

Bob NBob N Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited August 26, 2005 in People
Last Friday I had and opportunity to shoot something different..you know besides 40s jeeps and girls. This time it was of a young lady (Tiffany) and her horse (Zach). I don't know beans about horses but I think that Tiffany rides in an event called Hunter Jumpers or something like that. At any rate, it's neat to watch her riding through the jumps.

tiffany03.jpg

tiffany01.jpg

tiffany02.jpg

She plans to model for me, so I hope to have something else to post here soon.

Comments

• BoomerangNetwork.comBoomerangNetwork.com Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    I really like the last image. There is so much energy in the horse and in the rider leaning into the horse.

Thanks for sharing
    Andrew Osterberg

Moving Beyond Photography

VirtualPhotographyStudio.com
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2005
    I like the last shot also but I think a shallower DOF would work better. What focal length at what aperture did you use?
  • Bob NBob N Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    Khaos wrote:
    I like the last shot also but I think a shallower DOF would work better. What focal length at what aperture did you use?
    Looking at the EXIF info, it appeas that I shot the picture at
    F number 4.5
    Aperture f/4.5 (4.34/9
    Focal Length 75.0mm
    Shutter speed 1/800 sec
    ISO 400

I should also say that I was shooting in "sports" mode as the action was just too fast for me to keep up with. Also I was a poor judge at timing the snap with the jump. So putting it on sports allowed me to shoot continuous and get the jumps.

So shooting in the auto sports mode I don't think I could adjust the Aperture manually. It's a Canon Digital Rebel, if I can let me know and I will try that next time. The few that I shot in RAW "creative" mode just were not acceptable to me.
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    I agree that last shot is super.. I think I would have cloned out the cables in the trees behind, they distract me a little. thumb.gif
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    The last one. nod.gif Maybe leave a little more room at the front, but it's really nice.thumb.gif
    edited August 25, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    The last one. nod.gif Maybe leave a little more room at the front, but it's really nice.thumb.gif
    I had plent of room left, I cropped it short in PSP. Tonight I will post the original frame. Thanks for the input.
    edited August 25, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    I agree that last shot is super.. I think I would have cloned out the cables in the trees behind, they distract me a little. thumb.gif
    Good idea. I didn't think of the cables. I seem to always look at the figure, er, the person that I'm photographing. I don't even look at the surround areas of the photo. I need to watch the "details" better but cloning them out is certainly doable.
    edited August 25, 2005
    tiffany04.jpg
    Above is the original photograph before I cropped it (though I did remove the wires in this one).
  • lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    In the unsolicited advice column, here's a tip for shooting jumping--wait to snap until the girth (the thing that holds the saddle on) is even with the jump. Then you'll get the horse at maximum lift. In this shot, you're a little early--it doesn't help that she's a little "ahead" of her horse! At the frame rate of a dReb, you can click once for the girth, and once right after that should get you a "landing shot", where the first forefoot is reaching the ground.

You don't need to necessarily shoot the back end, getting tighter is good. Remember to leave a little headroom above the rider.

I rotated your image slightly, too.

Lynne
    not an expert at jumping but pretty good with horses
  • arthillarthill Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2005
    Bob N wrote:
    tiffany04.jpg
    Above is the original photograph before I cropped it (though I did remove the wires in this one).
    Looks good without the wires and with more room in front of the horse although you certainly could crop some. Splashing that big logo on all of these detracts from enjoying the images.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, however, there is.
    In order to understand recursion, you first have to understand recursion.
    Art Hill
    edited August 26, 2005
    arthill wrote:
    Looks good without the wires and with more room in front of the horse although you certainly could crop some. Splashing that big logo on all of these detracts from enjoying the images.
    Well, I certainly hope so. I have just recently been ripped off by some jerk in France who used a picture of one of my models without license. He tried to tell me that copyright laws did not apply to the Internet in France. Bullhocky.

I was pretty ticked about that theft. So I splashed a logo on the pictures at least the one's with models in them. Now, I don't mind sharing or when someone in the forum shares a version that has been tweaked. I just don't like having my work ripped.

Having said that I am open to suggestions on were on the photograph to post the logo or how to make it a little more suttle.

I have tried other versions of the logo for example....

CRW_3674_600px.jpg

In color or BW this is perhaps my favorite picture that I have taken. The logo is splashed on the upper edge. However, for the photo-theives this really wouldn't deter them much. instead of using the photo editor (like on the horse pictures) maybe I should use this logo "adder"?