10pt Whitetail Deer (taxidermy; shoulder mount).

D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
edited July 19, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
I've got a TON of this kinda stuff coming down the pipe; C&C for 'next weeks' work is GREATLY appreciated - Thanks :thumb

Once again, a product shot.

Not baaad for these parts;

fullsize.jpg

- Clamshell set-up
- f4 @ 1/60th on tripod, with my Siggy 18-55
- Gelled kicker on black seamless

Any other questions, just ask. :D
CHEERS! :wink

ETA: I'm tossing in this one too... I'm not overly fond of it (it's ok, i guess) but the "Art Director", is over the top for it (:scratch).
Tell me what ya think (???).

fullsize.jpg

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Since you asked, I think the best shot would have been between the two views you've given us. Seeing both eyes would be good.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    I agree with Icebear, a third angle, both eyes visible might have also been a nice option.

The second shot: the bg red spot is unfortunately the particular size to "fit/fill" the rack. Seems a bit odd, like you set it up this way. I think that the straight-on shot would benefit if the bg spot were larger, the way it appears in the angled first shot.

Another thought: I realize these are product shots for a taxidermist, but would it look better, or worse, to fade the back of the mount. Meaning: as shot, the mount looks like it's floating. That may well be what your client wants, or it may not be.

Just askin'...
    Randy
  • SimpsonBrothersSimpsonBrothers Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    maybe because the 2nd shot looks brighter?
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback fellas; I tried responding to ya on Friday, several times, but kept getting kicked off as I hit the submit button - New day, new attempt. rolleyes1.gif

Out of ~ 35 takes, my client's choices for this animal are the above 2, in their order. Of the takes taken in between these 2 extremes, they were tossed because of 'clips', of either this or that (tines, chin, ear....). My main reasoning of not liking the later photo is because the snout is pretty much lost into its throat/neck.... Typically he's wanting one image of each but in this case, he just had too have the 2nd one too.

Randy, I hear ya! When I had the 1st mounts in, I shot them from angles that made them look as though they were out on a leisurely stroll. My customer hated them, near to the point of being offended - He wants them depicted for what they are, with CLEAR understanding.

SimpsonBro: That's just a quick levels adj - No biggie. mwink.gif

Again, Thanks fer playing. thumb.gif
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2010
    Oh,,,,,,, Randy, thanks for bringing it to my attention of the 'ball in a basket'. This was one of the 1st takes and with me not liking the angle, I admit that I just zipped right along with the rest of the shoot - I REALLY thought this one would hit the floor; I can pull it and salvage the image....

Cheers!