New Old Gear

nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
edited July 20, 2010 in Cameras
I was recently gifted a bunch of gear by my dad, who hasn't used it in a while. This combination is responsible for getting me hooked. Unfortunately, as a kid, I didn't get a lot of time to use it. My dad hasn't seen the slide I shot in a long time.

DSC_3194.jpg

Yes, the flash still works. It came in this case, along with a few other things:

DSC_3200.jpg

There's also a bellows, model II, and a slide copy attachment. Unfortunately, it has all sat unused for quite a few years, and I am probably going to send the big lens to Morton Grove, Ill, for CLA and then on to get AI'ed before I think about using it. I'm thinking I should probably redo that foam in the case too, :D Suggestions for better types of foam would be appreciated, the current foam is 40 years old. :rofl

Comments

• chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Yummy!! Try it out before you send to some know-nothing guy in a tech centre for refurb. Very little goes wrong with this vintage and they are more likely to degrade the kit by opening it up and fiddling around.

Otherwise sell it on to someone who cares. Obviously your dad did, although it is nowadays worth a lot less than it was. If I was you, I would shoot a few rolls and show him the results - assuming he is still extant. It will give him a buzz, mostly because you are using it and seem to know the value.
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Nice stuff!

What a find…

The thing you might want to check, especially on gear of that vintage are the light-seals on the back of the camera - usually of a foam-rubbery type of substance which sits around the edges of where the back fits into the body. The stuff has a tendency to become "gooey" with age, but can be fixed/replaced at any good camera repair-shop (see www.keh.com).

Looks like some neat stuff there!

BTW - you might want to exercise the shutter occasionally, and never leave it "cocked" as it puts unnecessary wear on the spring.

thumb.gif

- Wil

PS: Foam - check out Pelican Cases - They provide foam inserts for all their cases, and I'm sure that you could find something which you could tailor to your case.
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 16, 2010
    For foam you could go with factory replacement:

http://www.zerohalliburton.com/photography/camera_cases/foaminserts.jsp

... or size and fit your own. One name keeps coming up in the photography forums:

efoamstore.com

I have never used them myself.

The Honeywell flash is probably not safe to use with modern cameras and the capacitors had a tendency to go bad if they were not used in a long time.

Gorgeous camera. clap.gif I nearly went Nikon when the "F" series came out. (Pentax shooter at the time.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Well, Chris, the 50-300 is a nice lens, but I will invest a trip to these guys for a quick looksee and estimate, then on to John White in MI to do the AI conversion so I can use it on digital as well. I'll be taking some shots of my grandkids/his great grandkids to give him.

Thanks Will, for the reminder on the light seals/ I took it out and clicked it a few times as soon as it arrived. My oldest granddaughter is the same age now as I was when I got to shoot with it. ZOIKES!

Will and Ziggy, thanks for the foam links. Efoam looks far more reasonable pricing wise. and I will probably go with the egg crate type..

Ziggy, the batteries in the strobe have been redone by my dad a few times, "The battery pack that is in it now was built by ME! At work I was able to find similar cells, and I learned how to spot-weld connections between them." I've fired it up and flashed it manually, as well as put it on a charger. If nothing else, it's a nostalgia piece for me. I wasn't planning on using it with my digital gear though, I've got a SB-28DX, SB-400, and SB-900 for that. :)
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    What date is this equipment, please?

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Neil, 1967 and 1970 :D
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Thanks! Lovely to see this gear!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Boomer DeppBoomer Depp Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2010
    Being an old Nikon and Nikkor collector I prefer to leave most of my Nikkors in their original mount configuration.Figuring I have enough AI and later lenses to mount on my Nikon DSLR's.Also,to take advantage of all my older Nikkors I bought a few Canon DSLR's the 40D,50D and the 5D which also allows me to use my wide and ultra-wide Nikkors effectively.

I did install the factory AI conversion on the Nikkor 400mm f5.6 ED and a few years back Roland Elliott added the electrical contacts and CPU chip.But since acquiring the Canon DSLR's I haven't added the chip to any of the other Nikkors.I am fortunate and lucky my eyes have improved with age,especially for close up work,or I would have to chip all the lenses for focus conformation.

Part of my Nikon and Nikkor collection here....http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w110/boomer1954/Camera%20Gear/?albumview=slideshow

Roland Elliott added electrical contacts and CPU chip
    008.jpg