Options

Determining EV using a table

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited July 16, 2010 in Technique
Let's see if I can explain myself in what I was expecting from an app to iPhone returning long exposure values. (more than 30 seconds)

When I shoot during the night in poor light conditions and I want to make loooong exposures I find that my camera stops at 30" as maximum.

As I want to keep the Exposure Value (EV) correct I am needing a way to calculate it with precision.
I downloaded two programs from the iTunes and I found them not doing what I wanted.
Shame: one of them stopped at 30 seconds !
May be it's just me or my ignorance or... both.
I understand that it is not practical to have to keep looking among a couple of situations looking for what is supposed to be the right EV.

Let me give you a quick example:
I am on the field and I read the light and it goes like this:
ISO 100 - 15 sec exposure - f/4

But if I want to use f/11 I must change the other parameters.
I light my torch on the iPhone because it is dark and take my table from the pocket and read that I have to change the exposure to 2 minutes keeping the ISO

I was expecting that the apps would help me but just confused me until I decided to build this table. I am only showing you a small part of the table as it is much broader...

Any corrections ? Am I wrong ? Where ?
935999738_AQTbQ-M.png
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• Options
    BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    To be honest, I find the format confusing. The first 5 columns are clear.

I know what you are trying to do with the next 7 columns (relate apertures between 2.8 and 22 back to 16 in terms of relative stops).

What I'm not clear on immediately is how you're using them together. I can't follow your arrows.

I made a table with a similar purpose a while back (attached). I set it up for use with my 6-stop ND and 2-stop CPL filters, with the potential to open up one stop.

In practice found myself just pulling out a calculator.

6 stops down means I need to double the exposure 6 times over. 2*2*2*2*2*2 = 2^6 = 64. So a 1 second exposure is now a 1 minute exposure.
    8 stops down means I need to double the exposure 8 times over. 2^8 = 256. So a 1/4 second exposure is now a 1 minute exposure.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Antonio, I've moved your post, since it's not really about shooting with the iPhone, but is better suited to this forum. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    DavidTO wrote: »
    Antonio, I've moved your post, since it's not really about shooting with the iPhone, but is better suited to this forum. thumb.gif

Well done David Thank you :D
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook