Picked up some new glass yesterday!! Pics Inside.

lmyamenlmyamen Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited July 17, 2010 in Cameras
Well i finally picked up a lens i have been wanting for a while. I shoot with as an assistant/intern with a professional local wedding photographer. I had Nikon equipment before i started shooting with them. They shoot with all Canon equipment so it just made sense to switch over to be able to interchange lenses/flash. I sold my D200 and bought a 40D.

Typically i use his equipment at the weddings which typically means i am shooting with a 24-70 f/2.8l, 85mm f/1.2, or a 70-200 f/2.8l. I really wanted to get some equipment that i could use on my own to do shoots on the side which brings me to yesterday. I found a great deal on a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and so i snatched it up. I LOVE this lens so far. From the reviews i read it seems pretty on par with the canon non is L version of this lens.

The next step is to pick up a 24-70 f/2.8 but i have to start saving the pennies for that. Ok enough talking here are the pictures, haha it's easy to get long winded while typing.

4796625548_043ace1a5a_b.jpg

4795995499_9e71cfb89d.jpg

First 2 test shots fired off from my backyard.

4797833505_a67a09e18b.jpg

4797831305_e06537e110.jpg

Comments

• azboricuaazboricua Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    Congrats, thats lens is very nice and the nikon mount version of this lens treated VERY well. I loved it and hated selling it when i went Canon just a week ago. I made my first purchase the Canon 24-70mm F2.8, still in the mail. Hope to have my hands on it next week.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    I Use the older version (APO only) on my Konica Minolta cams......I love Sigma Quality....it has never let me down.
    It should last you a very long time providing fantastic quality photos for you and your clients.
    Great Find
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2010
    My perspective now on the Canon 24-70mm f2.8L is that it is likely to disappoint on a APS body. I would suggest trialing it and the 24-105mm f4L on the 40D before committing.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2010
    Since you are not one of those folks who will only buy Canon or Nikon lenses, you might consider the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 as a substitute for the Canon24-70. If is not up to L standards. It lacks full time manual focusing, and I suspect (but don't know this for a fact) that it does not focus quite a quickly. However, it is optically superb on a crop sensor camera and costs about 1/3 as much as the 24-70. It's also a little lighter, I think. I bought one a couple of years ago, use it quite a bit (on a 50D), and have had very good experiences with it. In any case, I agree with one of the other postings: try before you buy.